Preferred Method of Capturing in FCE or Pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, Apr 21, 2007.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Ok so I'm doing some caputuring in FCE and I like the clip by clip b/c it only keeps the wanted things when you set in and out points but it takes forever. I know in imovie you can just capture at once and it will automatically separate it into clips...which method do you prefer or recommend?

2. GoGoSamGo macrumors member

I capture with in and out points. What I'm going to start doing though is when I shoot, and due to taking many different takes of shots, I'm going to write down the timecodes of all the clips and next to it write what it was and if it's good, ok, or just plain bad. Then during capturing, I don't have the go through the tape and put in and out points and watching the entire tape, instead I'll just manually enter the timecodes for the in and out points by what I've wrote down during the shoot, and just put the tape in and let it just batch while I go off and do more productive things.

3. Kolind macrumors regular

I shoot on HDV, which means that FCP can automatically split the tape into the separate clips. So what I do is to put the in-point just before my color bars end, and my output at the end of the last recording on the tape. Then I just click "Capture clip" and FCP creates all the clips for me. I then go through the clips and rename them.
    On interviews and point-and-shoot kinda stuff I have to watch each clip to give them a proper name, but on fiction and music-videos and stuff like that where I have a continuity report I use that to name each clip (checking with the time code of each clip and the time code I have on my continuity report).

Hope it helps.

4. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

5. bkvideography macrumors member

Any camera that records to a brand new mini-dv tape, whether it be DV or HDV, will seperate each recording into its own clip.

If you capture using "in and out points", you are "logging" your tapes (telling your computer which parts you like on the tape, then telling it to grab all those clips off the tape automatically).

iMovie uses the capture "now" style (just taking everything off the tape without logging). Final cut express and final cut pro can do this too....just look for the "now" button in the capture window.

If you use a brand new minidv tape, and capture "now" in FCE or FCP and don't see multiple clips when you're done, go to Modify -> "dv start/stop" -> detect dv start/stop and FCE and FCP will break up your one clip into all the different scenes you shot.

The downside to logging tapes is that you wear out your camera MUCH faster because you are using it as a VCR, not a camera.

Hope that helps,
    Brian

6. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

REALLY? I didnt know this was posssible. At my last apple procare the person told me that FCE couldnt do that....interesting. Perhaps you should be should teach me FCE. I laid down the clips yesterday for my upcoming project and I'm excited. Well, thanks for that info. I'll keep that in mind.

7. bkvideography macrumors member

you can email me anytime - bkvideography@mac.com

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

A good tip I received from LethalWolfe, was to use a cheap MiniDV camera for doing the capture. It eliminated the wear and tear on my good cameras and is much cheaper than investing in a deck (which was what I was planning on doing).

9. shuffle1 macrumors member

Hi,

Will any cheap MiniDV camera work for this? I thought maybe the play speed might be slightly different and affect the footage. I know I saw this a little when I tried to play some old 8mm tapes I'd made long ago in another 8mm camcorder. Some were all jerky, and practically unwatchable. Thanks...

Chad

10. bkvideography macrumors member

8mm technology and digital editing is not always a good match. if you want to use apple's digital editing software, buy a mini-dv camcorder...it's that simple.

as far as using another camera to capture - yes it's nice and a good idea...as long as the camera can play back the same format (don't shoot widescreen and then use a non-widescreen camera to capture with).

or you could learn how to use the media manager. it's complicated, but once you learn it, you can pretty much use 1 camera for shooting and capturing. with the media manager, you can capture "now" (an entire tape) and then make a sequence with all the clips you want to save and edit with, and throw out the rest. logging sucks because you have to wait for the tape to rewind and fast forward 50 times.

hope that makes sense.