Preferred method to transfer from MacBook to Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dch828, Jun 5, 2011.

1. dch828 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new 2010 quad core 2.8 Mac Pro. I would like to transfer my files and programs from my 2008 MacBook to my Mac Pro. What is the best way of doing this?

2. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Migration Assistant (Utilities folder) and Target Disk Mode

3. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

Migration Assistant

It will copy all your stuff :D

4. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Just follow the MA instructions exactly. I made a mistake by not doing that...

5. dch828 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

I set up a new iMac with the usual introductory stuff but only used the Migration Assistant after that to transfer data/files from a MacBook Pro which the iMac is replacing. However I've now stuck with two Admin accounts and cannot shut down without entering password/password for the other. Obviously it cannot be done using Accounts as the delete option is not available (which I understand).

I wanted to delete is the Administrator one and change the status of the other from Standard to Administrator. (Of course I can live with it but it means that I have to type in the Admin's details in the logged-in Standard's account to install new software.)

In short you can't have an identical Mac clone (with the same Apple ID and Password) as your older Mac on the same network (which is pretty obvious now!)

7. dch828 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I should use the Migration Assistant first and not set up the new computer before that? Can I have the same username and password for both computers?

8. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

If you plan to use both Macs on the same network with a Time Capsule backup, no (as I've discovered). But if you plan to get rid of the older one, i don't think that would be a problem (but I am open to correction).

9. dch828 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be using both of them on the same computer. Thanks for the heads-up.