Preferred Way to Get 3G for the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sammyman, Apr 11, 2011.

?

3G for the iPad? Which do you prefer and why?

1. Paying for a 3G plan ($14/$25) from ATT or Verizon

40 vote(s)
    40.4%
  2. Pay $15 for iPhone tethering from ATT or Verizon

14 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Jailbreaking iPhone and buying Mywi or similar?

25 vote(s)
    25.3%
  4. Using a 3G/4G Wifi Router?

10 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Other (please specify)

10 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

With the 3G card in it. I have a 3GS, so the battery kill while tethering via MyWi is terrible. And it's nice to just be able to use it straight on the device.

3. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

I have a 3G version with built in.. I like it best because I don't have to worry about cords or anything for Theo ether ng or keeping a connection. I just turn it on!

4. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Had the 3G iPad 1, never used 3G. Have the iPhone 4 and the WiFi iPad 2. Tether all the time using Bluetooth Personal Hotspot via my iPhone 4. Drain on the battery isn't too bad at all and speeds are good enough in a pinch. I've also get a battery extender in case I do need the extra juice.

5. Smoothness macrumors regular

didn't setup 3G on my ipad at first, rooted my android and had a tethering program. i used the tether for like 5 mins and it sucked like 10% of my battery. Even tho i don't plan on using 3g everyday all the time. I do not like my phone battery wasted. So i'll just pay 35 a month. :(

6. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like it is 50/50 with jailbreaking and paying for 3g service. Half of us are too cheap to go the real route and just pay ATT!

7. Antfer macrumors member

1 data plan = however I want to use it.

Which is hotspot from my phone.

8. ravenas macrumors regular

3G MiFi from Virgin Mobile. $40 per month unlimited data. Got this a few weeks after my iPad1 WiFi when I realized I missed having internet on the go. Love it because I can give access to my laptop, my iPod Touch and my iPad. Pretty much whatever device I have at hand.

Now I have an Android phone from VM with unlimited data for $25 / month. No tethering though. So I use my phone for GPS/3G related tasks and my MiFi for basic internet access for my devices.

Only thing I miss on my WiFi iPad is the GPS. I do not miss the ridiculously low data caps AT&T and Verizon impose.

9. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Other. Using iOS 4.3.1's Hotspot feature.

When I got my 64GB iPad 3G a month ago, I tried 3G (with Rogers, $15 for 250MB) for a month.

I hated the idea of using my iPhone's battery but then I realized (pointed on the other thread, "has you iPhone usage reduce?") I rarely use it anyways so I didn't renew my iPad Data plan and used the Hotspot feature.

Though, I'm working on selling my (Contract) Voice/Date & 32GB iPhone 3GS so as soon as I do I will sign up again.

10. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Or people just hate at&t. They can go screw themselves for all I care.

When I need internet access out and about, I use my Sprint wifi router. There is something to be said about unlimited data (even if you only end up using a few hundred megs a month) and customer service that pretends to want to help you.

11. ravenas macrumors regular

QFT!

Shame so many cave to the powers of AT&T and Verizon. They are insulting in their abuse of customers.

12. joudbren macrumors regular

I picked "other". In Canada with Rogers, Hotspot is FREE if you have a data plan 1GB per month or larger. My old iPad was a 3G model and I paid $20 a month extra to share my iPhone 4's 6GB data plan with the iPad. This time around I went with the wifi only version of the iPad 2 as the odd time I need 3G on my iPad I can hotspot it now with my iPhone 4 for no extra charge. $240 a year back in my pocket. Cheers!

James

13. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

I've just got the new 1GB data plan from O2 so I'm fully legit now. I did try the iOS 3 hack when it first came out so I have never JB, also I like to have everything above board due to work.

14. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Twin sim card with the one in my iPhone 4.
    I already have a 6GB/month data plan for the iPhone 4, so sharing it with the iPad 2 makes sense.

15. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I use the 3G in the Ipad but already had a MiFi through Virgin mobile when you paid one fee per month for all you could use. Then over the last month they changed that to $50 with a cap so I just stopped using it and went to the 3G on the Ipad.

I really don't use the 3G that much and most of the time I can find a Wifi network if I need it so I really don't know if I will keep renewing the 3G or not.

16. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Had just a wifi iPad and decided I wanted the freedom to use the iPad 2 anywhere and not just at home. Got myself an AT&T version and my wife a Verizon. This way when we activate our iPads for vacations -- we should be covered just about everywhere. :)

17. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

18. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

19. nouniard macrumors newbie

I picked "Pay $15 for iPhone tethering from ATT or Verizon". This is despite the fact that here in Germany, Deutsch Telekom (T-Mobile) has tethering as part of the plan so there is no reason not to tether. I doubt my view would change if I was back in the US.

20. Siggen macrumors 6502

Twin sim with my phone. Cos my phone has a unlimited dataplan ^_^

I hate tethering, uses to much battery, and loses some speed.

21. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I pay $25 for unlimited 3g on my phone (as well as unlimited texting and 300 minutes), then I tether the iPad to that. I bought the 3g service from AT&T twice and it worked well, I may buy it again if I need to go out of my phone's coverage area.

22. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I tether off my phone using the wifi router feature. Works fantastic with my original 64GB Wifi model. Unlimited Data and after being with T-Mobile for 13 years, I get the feature for free due to customer loyalty. :eek: