All iPads Preferred wifi?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Electcon, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Electcon macrumors newbie

Why doesn't Apple make some type of wifi hierarchy so that you can have your iPad connect to the wifi of your choice when more than one is available?

Here is my situation:

I have a wifi iPad Mini. When I am on the road I need to have internet access so I connect it to my iPhone's hotspot, nice and simple. I don't use much bandwidth on the road so it's not a big deal.

However, when I get home I use a LOT more bandwidth, so I would rather the iPad connects to my super fast unlimited FIOS wifi. But, unfortunately, I have to manually disable the wifi hotspot on my iPhone or else the iPad will continue to connect to it the entire time.

It seems like it would be very simple for Apple to make a way to number saved wifis so that you can pick which one to connect to if multiple wifis are available.

Doesn't that make sense?

2. Electcon thread starter macrumors newbie

3. hermitman macrumors newbie

This is a brilliant idea for people having the same issue. I am one of them:)

4. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Hmm.. I don't have that issue. My ipad will drop off my iPhone hotspot after a few minutes if I lock the ipad. I need to go back into the settings screen for the hotspot on my iPhone before it reestablishes it.

5. Che Castro macrumors 603

Shouldn't you turn hotspot off when not in use on the iPhone ?

To save battery

6. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Not necessarily. iOS knows if you aren't using it and "disables" it to preserve battery. I've had mine on for days and didn't notice a drop in battery.