Preferred "window snap tool" app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Skoal, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Skoal macrumors 65816

I'm looking for a good window origanization app and came across both Magnet and Better Snap Tool on the MAS. Are there others you guys prefer or which of the two mentioned do you find better? While neither is expensive I'd prefer not to pay twice for multiple apps that do the same thing. Thanks in advance!

2. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

This is one feature I loved on Win7. I didn't even realise I missed it until you mentioned it, will look into these apps now.

3. campyguy macrumors 68040

I use Magnet and Spectacle. I prefer the latter.

4. EssentialGadget macrumors newbie

I own several: SizeUp, BetterTouchTool, Magnet and MooM.

Currently I use Magnet and Moom concurrently

If I had to pick just one it would be Moom. Moom is also better for multi monitor. It will remember the locations and size of all windows on all screens. One easy click restores order to your standard config.
    Very powerful and easy to use app.

Magnet is good for snapping to quarter/half/thirds/full size.

5. GerritV macrumors 65816

Magnet user here. Good development, recently added snapping to 1/3 screen size.

6. Skoal thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks folks. There were a couple apps mentioned here that I hadn't heard of. I'll have to check them out. I was leaning toward Magnet because there seems to be active development ongoing but I'd only come across the two I mentioned. Magnet and BST. Thanks again!

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I personally prefer Divvy.

What I like about Divvy is you can map a keyboard shortcut to activate it, and it pops up a window that lets you drag and select the exact size of the window you want and where.

[​IMG]

8. Skoal thread starter macrumors 65816

Can you save these as presets for future use or do you have to create the shortcuts each time? I'm assuming the former.Also does it allow moving a window to a corner for it to snap or is all keyboard shortcuts? Looks good thanks.

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

There is a whole shortcuts section of the settings, so I assume there is something there you can do.

It does not snap left to right like in Windows. Frankly, even on Windows I never use snap and instead use the Window Key-Arrows shortcuts.

10. Skoal thread starter macrumors 65816

Good deal. Thanks for the info!

11. Ridge Racer macrumors newbie

Ridge Racer

12. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I've used BetterSnapTool for years and have never touched it or had an issue.

13. Jodiuh macrumors 6502

That's what I'm going to go with because:

1. I've been using bettertouchtool and love it, but trial ends in $3 days and it's $5.
    2. Bettersnaptool is $3 and comes with a free license for bettertouchtool,yea!

14. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I was using SizeUp until I came across Spectacle. It's free, open source and works perfectly without the need for other apps.

15. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

I'll second/third/whatever BetterSnap/TouchTool - had snap and now touch w/my new MBP, it's the best!

16. thejasonhowell macrumors regular

thejasonhowell

I have Mosaic through Setapp. It even has an iPhone remote.

17. Jodiuh macrumors 6502

The one thing I'm looking for now is how to split two tabs in half in the same full screen Safari window...is that possible?

Regarding btt, I just found out I could lower the touch sensitivity time for tip/tap and 3 finger or 4 finger taps.

So here's my setup so far:

Attached Files:

18. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

Do you mean like split screen in iOS? I don't know the answer to that one - I don't do much full screen to be honest...

I love btt for that kind of customization, I haven't gotten as in depth on it as I know is out there - but I do LOVE the custom swipes for opening/closing tabs and rotations to control volume and stuff (even if that bit is a little wonky)

19. Jodiuh macrumors 6502

Pretty much.

In Windows 7, Firefox, I can simply drag a tap to the right and it will 1/2 size and stick to the edge. All I have to do is drag the other windows to the other side and I'm done.

All this fullscreen business and getting back from fullscreen drivers me nuts.