Preinstalled SW vs retail SW

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Brôtkvest, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Brôtkvest macrumors newbie

Hi!

[If there is an answer in a previously posted thread please post a link, I made a few searches in order to find an answer to my question before posting]

I am planning to get my first Mac, probably a Macbook Pro (as soon as I have decided whether or not to wait for "the new and surely very fabulous version" whenever it will appear :)

Being a MS Windows user going into an "unknown zone" there are a few questions that I would like to have answered before making the jump, in order not to be surprised in any negative aspect.

Since I know that I want to buy iWork 08 and Aperture 2, I want to know if there is any difference in buying software preinstalled compared to retail in the "World of Mac"?

Will I for example have the same CD/set of CDs regardless and manuals?

Best regards,
    Brôtkvest

2. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

There is no difference in the software, but you won't get separate install disks, just the ability to reinstall from the restore DVDs that come with the Mac. You will get a serial number, if necessary, which you will have to enter when you first run the application. I prefer to order the software separately, even if ordered at the same time/same invoice. That way I have the disks, manuals (such as they are), etc. You could also sell/transfer the software if you no longer want it - something you can't do with bundled software.

3. Brôtkvest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for Your answer PeggyD!

I had a feeling that this might be the case, I definitely will follow Your example when ordering.

Best regards,
    Brôtkvest