Preloading an iPod touch for my husband for christmas

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kmcarmack, Dec 16, 2009.

1. kmcarmack macrumors newbie

I got my husband an ipod touch for christmas and I want to preload it with his music, some movies and some apps so he can start using it right out of the box. I think apple will make me register it before I do that though, and I'm wondering if they will send him and email saying "thanks for registering your new ipod" or something like that. Does anyone know if apple will do this? Or if I register it under my apple account, can he change it to his account later? What's the best way to fill it up without him knowing about it?

2. mzd macrumors 6502a

i believe you do get a welcome email, but there was a few weeks delay for me. you can request to not receive email from apple during registration, if i remember correctly.
    do you want to fill it with music purchased from the iTunes store or music you already own on cd? if you already own it, filling is easy and you don't need to worry about account issues.
    if you are using the iTunes store, now that iTunes is DRM free you could technically buy the music under your account and it won't make much difference if you copy it to his iPod.

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Register the iPod with YOUR account. Then drag all of his movies and music or whatever onto the iPod, done.

As long as you don't download anything he'll be none the wiser.

After you first connect your iPod and get past the setup, you can change the name of the iPod by clicking it's name on the left list and click it once more (a delay between clicks, don't double click) then you can change it to "Husband's iPod touch" or what have you. Just a helpful tip incase there are other iPods in the house ;)

4. kmcarmack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Everything I want to load is already in itunes (some that he owns, some that has already been purchased). And I think you're right about the delay, now that I think about it. Whenever I buy something on itunes, I don't usually get the receipt right away. Maybe I'll just wait until christmas eve to load it, just in case I can't request not to get an email, then he shouldn't get the email until after I've given him the ipod.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Obviously, you know your husband and I don't ... but I do know that some people like to open a pristine box and such. Sometimes, there's a certain amount of joy in opening up an Apple product.

We chipped in for an iPod touch for my nephew a few years ago and I had the assignment of loading it up for him (under orders from my sister ... his mom). Anyways, I made sure that I didn't remove any of the plastic that I didn't have to. I used my own iPod cable so that I didn't have to unravel the new one.

Oh yeah, if you do end up loading it up, make sure to leave enough time for charging the battery. I'm sure that your hubby would appreciate being able to use it all Christmas day and not have to worry about charging.

ft

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

This story is just so sweet =')

Any way, what he said. Apple products are different in that they make EVERYTHING a fun exciting experience, even opening the package! And most of us keep the boxes!

Finally, I hope you didn't register your Macrumors account on an email account your husband would have access to or the cat's outta the bag 0.o

7. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Great Christmas Gift Story. I know he will like it.
    Food for thought:
    If it was me, I would like to open it myself, as it was shipped. I enjoy setting up the iPod myself, fiddling with the iTunes playlists, getting this app, that app, and just enjoying the whole iPod touch experience. If he is like me, he may want to do that instead of you doing it.
    Just a thought.

8. androiphone macrumors 65816

I agree with this personally I would like to open and set it up myself but if you know your husband won't mind then go for it esp. the charge battery part

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

+ one for preferring to open and load it myself. Plus, the way the Touch is packaged, it's almost impossible to get it back neatly into the box again once you open it.

10. pilotrtc macrumors regular

I would want to open it myself, too. Otherwise, it would feel like I'm getting a hand-me-down.

11. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Let us know what you decide and how it goes Christmas Morning.

12. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

If possible use your own cable...and also do not remove any plastic...leave the packing as original as it was...

btw your husband is very lucky:)

13. parish macrumors 65816

parish

Another vote here for not pre-loading it. It won't take long to load anyway from what I remember so it's not like he'll have to wait that long to enjoy it.

One thing that someone can perhaps clarify for the OP. In my iTunes there is "Purchased on Parish's iPod" in the left-hand pane. Does this only appear if you have actually purchased something via your iPod (I have) or does it appear when you first sync (even though there will be no entries in it)? If it's the latter and he uses iTunes before Christmas then, as MrCheeto said, the cat will be out of the bag.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't have any such playlist, and I've purchased songs through iTunes. I don't think I've purchased songs on the ipod, however. I'm certain just syncing with iTunes doesn't produce such a playlist. If by chance a playlist like that is produced, it's a simple matter to delete it.

Also, back to something that was mentioned in the OP, I'm sure you can skip the registration. I know I've never registered any ipods I've owned. And you don't need to register to get warranty service. I've had my ipod replaced twice under warranty, without having registered them. So if you do preload the ipod, don't register it, and no chance of hubby finding out.

I'm sure whatever you do, hubby will certainly enjoy the touch!

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it's a lot easier for me my wife is blind. so i will go to her computer and get her touch setup when she is gone. I have setup all her others and I will use the playlists I already made so she will not notice.

16. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Outstanding.

17. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I would rather get the iPod sealed and untouched. I like opening my electronics and setting up everything myself.

18. itou macrumors regular

i did the same recently for my father.
    ever since his best friend got an iphone, he's been itching to get one himself but is tied with a blackberry for work that he can't get rid of. i decided to get him an ipod touch instead.

it's his first ipod.
    his first apple product.

he's the kind of person that loves to open his own things, but i wanted him to be able to play with it the moment he gets it without much setup. i opened the box very carefully, kept the seals as straight as i could, registered it under my account (it doesn't matter. it's just a registration process.), loaded his music, downloaded a few apps for him and charged it.

i know what time he sets his alarm in the morning, so at night, i set the ipod with an alarm 2 minutes before his usual alarm goes off. he woke up to the ipod and was very happy.

:D

giving has its pleasures, doesn't it?

19. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

So, it was not only me thinking "I wouldn't like someone tampering with my new toy befor I get to open it from pristine new condition" while reading the post.

Wheeewww....
    :rolleyes:

20. pilotrtc macrumors regular

I think it would depend on how fussy the husband/recipient is. IMHO a true "gadget-guy" (or gal) would want his (or her) prints on the gadget first.

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

another advantage of a blind wife. she will be sho happy having it that will be the cool thing.

22. pilotrtc macrumors regular

I don't doubt that's true. Being visually impaired does add another issue to consider but I don't think that's the case with the OP's recipient.

I also think your wife is extremely lucky to have a husband like you who gives such great gifts.

23. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes it is not the same. I wanted to get her a iphone but I just can't afford the 30.00 extra month.
    I think she has had 5 or 6 ipods. first the old shuffle then she got another because there was no way to separate music and podcasts and books.
    then a nano that I thought I lost then found after I replaced it. then my 60 gig ipod when I got my iphone. that one only has music on it and she only uses it in shuffle mode.
    then a new nano because it speaks and she can now navigate. and now a touch. I traded a old shuffle in and got the 32 gig for 240.00
    so she has a lot of ipods. now she will have two nano's she does not need.