Premature external hard disks failure - WD My Book Studio

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shiunn, Jan 27, 2008.

1. shiunn macrumors 6502

I'm looking to buy the Western Digital Studio Edition 500gb from amazon. From the 20 reviews that I've read from both the UK and the US sites, a disturbing number of people have bad experience with this drive eg drive not starting up, dead and unreadable, etc.

Any chance this improportional number of defects could just be one side of the story, ie there are a lot of other happy customers out there who just didn't post the reviews?

2. errol macrumors 6502

errol

I just read the same thing. But I just ordered one from a user here and I hope it works well! WD has a good warranty though.

3. Mac In School macrumors 65816

One year, or have they changed it?

Seagate has 5.

4. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

One shouldn't get too comfortable with the word warranty, because WD doesn't cover data recovery, which is, IMHO far more valuable than an external HDD replacement.

Glad you mentioned Seagate. I've also had a look ad Lacie and lacie porsche. It seems that the magic number is 25% - 25% of bad reviews respectively.

Is there no ideal external HDD which does not have failures?

5. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Well, at least I'm happy with my drives, and I haven't posted any reviews there. People tend to scream loud when things fail, and stay quiet when everything's fine.

Nope.

Simply put - All drives will fail, internal as well as external drives. It is only a matter of time.

6. Mac In School macrumors 65816

LaCie is one of the brands I avoid. They have great enclosures, but that's all they make... The enclosures. They buy their drives from other makers, and you're never sure what you're going to get. Could be any brand inside.