Premature RAM flushing

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by slenpree, Jan 26, 2016.

1. slenpree, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016

slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

The only ongoing annoyance I have with my Apple Watch is slow app launches (especially third party apps) some of the time ... normally when in a hurry. So I thought I'd do a quick experiment...

I loaded up every app on my watch one by one and then cycled through them again starting at the first one I loaded. Everything is perfect; each and every app loads in 1-3 seconds. So I was like, great, maybe that's all I needed to do and now it will be fine.

I come back to the watch over an hour later, after barely using it and now apps are taking seemingly forever to load again. This seems like a bug to me, as if the apps are crashing in the background. The watch has the same amount of RAM as an iPhone 4S, it should be able to keep these simple apps in standby without a timer shutting them down.

If watchOS 2.2 does not fix it, I think I will uninstall all third party apps and just use the native ones for now.

Anyone else experiencing this ? Bug or feature ?

Also, has anyone else noticed how although third party apps now run on the watch, they still can't use wifi without the phone? Only the native apps seem able to use wifi on the actual watch.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I tried installing only a few apps and my AW slowed down. Removed them and it was back to normal.

3. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

I only have maybe 5 third party apps installed and they usually load pretty fast. Especially pcalc. After the first slow launch it will continue to open quickly for days. But I'm guessing if I opened more it would close.

4. slenpree thread starter macrumors 6502a

slenpree

My suspicion now is that one app is causing the problem and effecting all apps. For now, I have removed all third party apps and will add one at a time and see how each one runs for a week at a time, starting with the most useful apps.

5. chuyn macrumors 6502

I've noticed this as well, and it's too bad. Because for a while after I open all the apps I like to use, they re-open very quickly. But then I won't need to go into them for a few hours and then the next time I try, some take forever.