Premier AT&T - No Restocking Fee?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joro, Jun 16, 2009.

1. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Hey all, I’m in a bit of a bind because I’m worried about AT&T being able to deliver on it’s June 19th promise even though I ordered about 3 hours after they began accepting online pre-orders. My local Best Buy will guarantee an iPhone on Friday if I put down $50. What I am planning on doing is putting down the $50 at BB and if I don’t get it from AT&T, I’ll just buy it through BB. If I get AT&T’s, I can get a refund back from BB for the $50.

My question though, regards the restocking fee. I am a premier customer and I was checking the terms and conditions on the premier site. It says,

Has anyone had experience with this?

2. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Are you even sure that BB can do the activation for you on a premier line? Will you even still get your FAN discount on the service if you activate that way?

It seems to me that you are going to extraordinary lengths when the worst thing that might happen to you is that you have to wait an extra 2-3 days for your phone to show up after the 19th.

3. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I'm going to stick out the extra 2-3 days to make sure my Premier account works. I ordered it through Apple originally and was just going to figure it out later but then cancelled my order and went through Premier to just be safe. I'd play the safe route. You'll be unhappy for 2-3 days but all the time after that you will be happy you went with Premier.

4. joro thread starter macrumors 68020

joro

The FAN discount has nothing to do with activation, only with the service plan monthly charges and yes, I will get the discount because I had to remove and reapply for the 1st iPhone.

But still, the question is in regards to whether they do indeed charge the restocking fee for premier customers not whether you think I’m crazy, ha! :rolleyes:

5. joro thread starter macrumors 68020

joro

I would prefer to stick with AT&T; however, I have worries about them being able to deliver even in a few weeks. I remember the original iPhone 3G launch where they promised delivery 7-10 after, I had friends who didn’t get them for 2-3 weeks after. So BB is more a contingency plan just in case.

6. JusChexin macrumors member

I'm going to be a first time AT&T subscriber and ordered my iPhone 3Gs through Apple's website. In the Apple Store, I picked my own AT&T rate plan. However, since reading these forums extensively ever since, I learned about the FAN discounts and learned that I can get a data and voice discount through my university. However, I obviously didn't pick this plan (as I didn't know about it and it wasn't available) off of Apple's website. How should I go about activating once I receive my iPhone? Should I just activate through iTunes and take my phone to an AT&T store and ask for the FAN discount then, or must the FAN discount be applied at the time of activating (or did it have to be done at the time I ordered the phone - thus making it "too late" for me?) I'm just confused as to the order this all has to/can be done in. Thanks for any advice! :)

7. xleedaniel macrumors member

Hi guys, its my first time buying the iphone and i have a few questions maybe someone can help me out. im buying the iphone 3gs at the apple store on friday morning. so a few questions...

1) can i apply to be a premier account at the apple store? if not how...
    2) does it mean they can waive my activation fee if i do?
    3) and can i call on that day to apply feature codes to my plan?
    4) is there a way to manage all this online?

8. joro thread starter macrumors 68020

joro

On the right hand side of this premier page you type in your work or school e-mail address and it will tell you whether you qualify. As you go through he prompts, one option will be to add the discount to an existing account and it will have you type in all your information.

I’m sure AT&T can do it at the store although I don’t know how they verify you actually work at a company or go to school somewhere.

Link: https://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/

9. joro thread starter macrumors 68020

joro

(1) You can’t apply for the premier discount at the apple store. You need to do it online using the information I posted above or by contacting AT&T directly.

(2) I’m not sure about the activation fee; I know it’s charged to your first bill so that’s something you’ll need to take up with AT&T directly.

(3) I should be able to

(4) You’ll login regularly through the website and it will ounce you automatically to the premier page which allows your maintain your account.

10. JusChexin macrumors member

I saw that website and I do qualify for the discount through my university, but I already ordered my iPhone through Apple.com on June 9th. Could I alter my actual account/plan through this website after activation to change my plan? Or - did this discount have to be ordered at the time I purchased the iPhone, ie could I only get the discount if I ordered the iPhone through AT&T and signed up for the plan on the Premier site from the get-go?

11. joro thread starter macrumors 68020

joro

You can add / subtract / or reapply the discount at any time – even if you’ve already ordered the plan. In other words, even though you didn’t do it at the time your purchased the phone doesn’t prohibit you from doing it in the future.

12. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I used the above link for the Premier At&T and found that I qualify. Thanks to jrotunda85 for providing that link!

OK, now what does this mean for me? How can I take advantage of it. I bought my iPhone at Christmas through AT&T with the regular plan. What can I do now that I've qualified?

Edit: I read the above post, but how do I go about changing things? Thanks in advance for any info!

13. joro thread starter macrumors 68020

joro

So after you type in an e-mail address, AT&T will send you an e-mail with a link you have to click to continue the process. One of those options will be to add the discount to an existing line of service. After you click there it will have you type in your mobile number, zip code, last 4 of the SSN, and I think that’s it. After doing so, log into your online account through att.com and it should have a FAN #0000000000 (and a company or school name) in the top right hand corner in bold.

14. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Just use this link and follow the instructions to complete process to get a National Account Discount (NAD) this will attach a Foundation Account Number (FAN) ot your account.

Confirmation link: https://www.wireless.att.com/business/enrollment/

Dave

15. JusChexin macrumors member

This is excellent news! Thanks so much for the info, jrotunda85! :)