Premiere CS6 multi monitor set up

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matteusclement, Nov 27, 2013.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

I have been editing with two monitors for a couple years now using CS6.

I typically use the 2nd monitor as my timeline monitor, freeing up space for the clip monitor and the time line. One is 24" and the 2nd is 21"

I can add one more monitor if it means that I can use it for something effective. I was thinking of using it in portrait mode with my Bin & effects window.

This set up would be for editing. I have yet to figure out a 3 monitor system for color correcting.

I would like to hear how you have your set ups and maybe even some photos.

I just want to have an efficient set up and I feel in my video editing that the more real estate the better.

2. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Honestly, its' really a matter of personal preference. What's efficient to you will not be efficient to someone else. Working with editors and motion artists over the years, I'm not sure I've ever encountered someone with the same screen layout. Everyone works differently.

Having said that, I've never used 3 monitors (unless you count a production monitor). But having more space is never a bad thing.

3. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Yeah, I know the extra real estate will be nice, I am just curious as to HOW I can use that extra space.

I was hoping to see other peoples set ups to get some ideas.

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Wow the portrait turned monitor for bins / events is a great idea...I know when I work in AE CS5.5 things can get a bit to in your face...similar issue in FCP X. I think if I did a 3 monitor set up with a desktop (I have a MacBook) I would go with a portrait turned 1080p display for events and bins on the far left, then my timeline on the monitor in the middle which would probably be a 1440p monitor that matched the height of the portrait display perfect, and my 3rd monitor would be for CC'ing, it would be identical to the main 1440p monitor, although maybe calibrated slightly different for CC'ing and then finally I would have my video deck output to either a broadcast monitor if CC'ing was very critical or flat screen TV to approximate what the final product would look like on the average viewers screen.

This would be my personal preference based on how I've worked with 2 displays + a monitor in the past, Its very important that your set up reflect your learning style, throughout the thinking It was very important for me to have it go left to right in terms of the workflow but everyone else will be different.

5. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Sounds like we're pretty similiar Nate.

I use PP for my CC'ing still so I just use the short cut keys and custom lay outs for that.

The thing about the bin/event screen on the left is it doesn't need to be a color calibrated killer screen, my other two have to be.

6. arjen92, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I have three very cheap monitors (so pretty much useless for color correcting). But this is what I did with them:

[​IMG]

On the screen most right I have my bin. Then on the screen in the middle I have the timeline, the clip monitor, the timeline monitor and the effects. This way I can look up the clip and drag it to the timeline. I use the timeline monitor on this middle screen to see where I'm working on the timeline.

I also have the effects in the middle screen. The smaller distance makes it easier to quickly drag some effects to clips in the timeline.

On the most left screen I have a preview window.

Sadly, all of these screens were very cheap (that's why I have so many ;D). But they're quite useless for color correcting.

Also, not in the picture, there is a 42" Full HD screen on my right that shows a preview too. I use this when I'm in the final stages and want to know what it's going to look like when shown on a big screen.

7. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Arjen, that's kind of the idea I had but now that you point out the drag space for your effects I would have to move a couple things around. But that's the right idea.

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I like it! Cheap monitors aren't that bad as long as you understand their limits and/or have at least one good monitor to CC on. I like the idea of having a 16:9/16:10 in the middle with a 4:3 on each side....not sure if my peripheral vision needs to be stretched with 3 16:9 monitors!

9. mBox macrumors 68020

I know these arent cheap [​IMG]

If you are looking to Color Grading, you have to ask if you need one at final stage example a reference monitor.
    This can be any decent LCD/Plasma display.
    Not sure if you mean a third to color in.
    We have a Flanders for that (left on the pic) and that puppy starts at 4k :p

10. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

MBOX, that's just about what I am looking at....
    Must be nice to have those reference monitors! I use headphones because I work late at night at home while my wife sleeps.