Premiere / Final Cut Express

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by scottydawg, Sep 17, 2008.

1. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I used Adobe Premiere Elements for years on my PC but in February I became a Mac owner so I got Final Cut Express. I just finished all the tutorials at Lynda.com and am starting my first project but as I am doing it I do have a question.
    In Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro you can check a little box that will tell the computer to make a separate video file for each place on the tape you did a pause but in Final Cut you mark your in and out points and make each file yourself which is a lot more work. I can get Premiere Pro for a very good price at the local college so I wanted input from people here if they prefer one program over the other and what advantages one has over the other.

Thanks!

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

There's a way to do this FCP, too.

While in Log & Capture, load your tape into the Viewer. Then, click the "Mark" pull-down menu and select "DV Start/Stop Detect". This will add markers to every pause point detected on the tape.

If your camera was set to free-run the timecode when you recorded, you can also go into the User Preferences and under the "General" tab, make sure that "Make New Clip" is selected from the menu in the "On timecode break" field. Then, you should be able to do a batch capture of all clips at their proper break points.

3. scottydawg thread starter macrumors 6502

scottydawg