Premiere Importing and Bin Questions...?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by acearchie, Aug 29, 2014.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

New upgrader to CC2014 here.

Previously when I used to import it would keep the top folder name and then import all usable files into that folder.

Now when importing, it will import the top folder but then potentially have folders inside this one. Bit of a pain, any solution?

Also, is there a way to default the folders to go by 'name'? After closing they always seem to revert back to 'user order'! Infuriating!

Cheers!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Are you using the File->Import command or are you using the Media Browser window? I would suggest using the Media Browser window.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Eek. Using the media browser! I select the top folder (Contents on a c300 card) and previously in CC this would import only the clips. Now I'm getting some folders (for clips that are longer than 4gb and therefore split during recording)

It's a bit of a pain when navigating the footage which isn't helped by everytime I open the bin knowing the shots are now no longer in alphabetical order as well!

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

5. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thanks for this Lethal. Whilst it hasn't corrected the problem it has changed the way I will now import in the future!

I think the issue with the bins reverting to 'user order' is due to a corrupted project thanks to plural eyes which seems to happen every time I use it.

Oh well. Back to manual syncing for me!

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Premiere can sync by waveform (and does so very well). Just highlight all the clips you want to sync (I usually toss them all in one big to make it easy), right click, select Make Multi-camera Source Sequence and let PPro do its thing.

7. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I did know about this but can't off the top of my head comprehend a workflow (as you have mentioned) that would make it easy and simple to 30+ clips in one go.

Fortunately It didn't take me more than 15 mins to do it manually as the waveforms were pretty clear.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Once you import the clips into PPro just select all of them, right click and hit Make Multi-camera Source Sequence. I've done as many as 250-300 clips at once. That many clips probably took about 15 minutes (2-3 cameras plus 4 channels of 2nd system sound). All in all it was a days worth of shooting and they probably shot 6-8 hours a day.

9. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ah of course! The multi cam term put me off initially as I only had one video source but I didn't think of counting my three sound tracks.

As I'm not by Premiere now, do they have to all be in the same bin? My folder structure (ASSETS->FOOTAGE/AUDIO/LOGOS/TITLES etc. will have to have some reworking!

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think they can be in multiple bins, I just temporarily dump them all in one bin because it's easier to highlight them all at once that way. Once the syncing is done I put all the clips back in their proper bins.

11. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Perfect.

Thanks for all your help, it means a lot, especially since I think that every time I have intermittently posted here you are the one to come to the rescue!

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

No sweat and I hope it works out for you. I've synced probably 100 or so hours of footage this way and it goes smoothly 99% of the time.