Premiere Issue of Macworld Magazine Autographed by Steve Jobs Headed to Auction

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A copy of the February 1984 premiere issue of Macworld magazine signed by Apple's late co-founder Steve Jobs will be up for auction on the RR Auction website between December 6 and December 13.

[​IMG]

Jobs signed the magazine at the grand opening of Apple's iconic Fifth Avenue store in New York on May 19, 2006, writing "to Matt, steven jobs" on the front cover, which features a photo of Jobs posing with a trio of original Macintosh computers. The magazine is listed in fine condition with light handling and edge wear.

The premiere issue of Macworld magazine is considered to be scarce and desirable in its own right, while Jobs was often reluctant to provide his autograph, so this is a rare collectible estimated to fetch at least $10,000 at auction.

There is both photo and video proof of Jobs signing the magazine, along with letters of authenticity from verification services Beckett and PSA/DNA.

[​IMG]

Also up for auction at RR Auction beginning tomorrow is a Steve Jobs business card listing him as Chairman of the Board at Apple Computer. The business card features Apple's classic rainbow logo and an address of 20525 Mariani Avenue, across the street from its Infinite Loop campus in Cupertino, California.

[​IMG]

The business card is not signed by Jobs, but it is still a nice collectible and is estimated to fetch at least $500 at auction.

Article Link: Premiere Issue of Macworld Magazine Autographed by Steve Jobs Headed to Auction

2. DrJohnnyN Suspended

DrJohnnyN

I will gladly buy the business card for $500!

3. AngerDanger, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I've managed to really narrow down the potential buyers of this rare magazine:

potential buyer.png

4. Doomtomb macrumors regular

Doomtomb

Hopefully somebody named Matt wins the auction

5. mattynat macrumors newbie

I feel like I need to bid now. except I only fit two of those bubbles.

6. timborama macrumors 6502

timborama

“To Matt” kills the value. Matt wasn’t too smart if selling was his end game.

7. truettray macrumors 6502

truettray

Has MR hired you yet?

8. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Just buy it and then change your name to Matt. Duh!! :)

9. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I'd expect both of these items to go for a good deal more than $10K and $500 respectively, given how much the Apple I has gone for...

Then again, maybe the fact Apple is no longer the most valuable company in the world has reduced the value of things associated with them.

10. Joniz, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018

Joniz macrumors member

Whadda jerk Steve Jobs was, writing all over someone’s otherwise pristine magazine.

I’m sure Tim would never do such a thing. Not unless you pay for…the All-New Premier Version of MacWorld. The best premier version of MacWorld ever. Boy, he’s really excited about it. And he’s sure you will be excited, too. And the cost? Only $599!

11. Cordorb macrumors regular

Well - I still have my copy if Matt wants to sign mine ;-)

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Ah... MacWorld. Those were the days when there was noticeable, useful progress in the Macintosh line and the associated software and peripherals from month to month.

13. curmudgeonette macrumors 6502

Ah, the days when Apple sold the exact same Mac Plus model for, what, five years? Long enough to have to change from beige to gray.

14. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

I have a dozen or so of those computers he's leaning on with his signature on the inside.

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Hmm.. MacWorld.. still love that name.
    And, of course, the MacWorld Expos (London, Paris) the best days for us European Mac-lovers.

16. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Or Steve was smart trying to kill some of it's resale value in case the autograph seeker was doing it just for profit.

17. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I remember having that issue. Wonder if I saved it somewhere?

Not signed of course but that photo brings back memories.

Bought a day one original Mac from the computer store in Burlington, MA as did my office mate Hal Berman.

18. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Ironically, the person who asked Jobs to sign the magazine was named Sheila.

19. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Oh wow… I also have this issue but sadly not a signed one!

20. timborama macrumors 6502

timborama

I’ve got 2 of them still, plus the NeXTworld premier issue as well.

21. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

That’s humorously wrong. Unless you think Einstein’s signature would be devalued if a salutation said, “Leo” first. Appraisers will tell you that features of an item that add detail and richness to their history actually increase their value.
    [/SCHOOL]

22. cyberslammer macrumors member

Impressive, very nice....let's see Paul Allen's card.

23. timborama macrumors 6502

timborama

Laughable at best. Guaranteed, one personalized and one not. The personalized would sell for less.

I’ve got a monogrammed suit maybe YOU would like to buy.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

But while that was happening there was new software and peripherals coming to the market. Besides, the Mac was so expensive, who could afford to upgrade? My Mac+ lasted my family 10 years - and 3 different countries - before a transformer finally blew.

25. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Your monographed suit would be worth less than no monogram at all. Are you saying that a signed copy of Macworld has less value than one not signed at all? Careful with [bad] analogies.