Premiere Pro CC Certification

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pwhitehead, Feb 28, 2016.

1. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

Has anyone taken the Level 1 Certification test yet? Any good study guides out there? I'm pretty fluent with the program, but I don't wana go into the testing center cold turkey. The practice example adobe offers on their website isn't too great, considering the study guide only has 10 questions and the real test I'm assuming has at least 5x more. Thanks.

2. handsome pete, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

handsome pete macrumors 68000

Sorry, I can't help with your PP certification question but if you don't mind me asking, what are you looking to get out of the certification? I'm always curious when I see these kind of questions, especially regarding the FCP certification.

In my experience, I've never seen any value come from going through the certification process. The lead up, when learning the software is certainly valuable, but spending any money on the actual test is worthless in my opinion. I've never seen any employer specifically seeking a certification, nor do I think I know anyone professionally who has one. Quite frankly, NLEs aren't very complicated. Anyone looking to hire an editor may have a specific NLE they are looking for someone to use, but most importantly, they're looking for someone with real editing skill. Hell, I got my first Avid job by telling them I knew Media Composer, then downloaded the 30 day trial and gave myself a quick crash course before I started a week later. What ultimately got me the job was my reel.

I remember reading a Pixar employment FAQ years back and one of the questions was something to the effect of "what software should I know?" They responded with some general suggestions, but ultimately said that it doesn't matter so much as the talent that is shown on the reel/submission. After all, the software can be learned relatively quickly.

I don't mean to be so negative about the certification, but just wanted to weigh in with my honest thoughts. It may have some value depending on what you want to use it for. I could see its potential use for some teaching opportunities that would look for a certified user. But if all you're looking to do is add this to a resume for potential editing gigs, then I think the money could be better spent elsewhere.