Premium Channel Apps (e.g. HBOGO)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by thatoneguy82, Apr 14, 2014.

1. thatoneguy82, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

First off, I love HBOGO. The only time I activate my subscription is when GoT is starting and True Blood, so it only lasts for several months. Also, my satellite provider usually activates it as a bundle with Showtime and Cinemax and gives me a month free (yay!). Anyway, I wish Showtime had an App like HBOGO, or even allow it to be even Airplay'd and same goes for Cinemax.

My question is this, is there anyway that I can get Showtime and Cinemax to play on my AppleTV even though they don't have Apps within AppleTV? And in that same regard, would a Showtime and Cinemax App coming to the AppleTV soon be feasible?

And oh yeah, did I mention how I love HBOGO?!

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Ummmm..... Was there a question you need answering??? Or was this post just to declare your love for HBOGo??

3. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Hahaha.

I just re-read it and totally forgot to insert my query in there. Thanks for the heads up! :confused::D

4. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

You could AirPlay from the Showtime Anywhere app from your iPad or iPhone to your Apple TV. Your sig says that you have the Amazon Fire TV, and I believe that has the Showtime app.

5. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Cinemax or Showtime one does have an app but it's not on the Apple TV. I also live HBOGO, I get better quality with it than I do through DirecTV.

6. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Don't think showtime app allows airplay

7. tthip macrumors member

I just tried my Cinemax app on my iPad and it allowed me to play on AppleTV

8. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

I'm pretty sure the Showtime app works also. Unless I was air playing directly from my MacBook...

9. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

I don't have Showtime, so I can't try it; but I thought that if an app didn't naitively support Airplay, you could still use screen mirroring from your iPhone/iPad.

10. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Not actually true. An App Dev can also block Airplay Mirroring. Example of this was the NCAA March madness app. The best one can do is airplay the audio only. If you try to Airplay mirror, it would give you an error on the screen stating that this is blocked by the Developer (or something to that affect).