Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tylerdw89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
What are your thoughts? How long will it take for online preorders to slip to delivery after April 24th?

For those who preordered the iPhone 6, how long did that take before initial stock was gone?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I would predict all Watch models besides the Edition to run out within ten hours. Hell, the $549-599 Watches will probably sell out very quickly as well as many of the Sport Watches.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
If the leaked dates from yesteday are true, even the first orders aren't guaranteed for delivery on the 24th.

At least in Europe anyway.

Hopefully they weren't accurate, but all signs point towards very low numbers being available.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
My guesses.... I think that some Sport models will slip within 2 hours, with some configurations available until later in the day, then slip dates. I think some SS configurations (especially the black link one), will not slip until a few days later.

So, undoubtedly you'll get people who can't buy a Sport thinking about getting a SS and paying more money to get one on launch day.

I believe the production issues this time, and I also believe Apple's estimates of sales are too low, especially for the Sport. I think their sale estimates for the SS are too high.

DJTJ

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
im wondering the same thing... do I wake up at 3am EST time, or do I wait till I roll into work at 7:30am to order??

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm guessing shipping dates will start slipping within the first couple of hours.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
If the leaked dates from yesteday are true, even the first orders aren't guaranteed for delivery on the 24th.

At least in Europe anyway.

Hopefully they weren't accurate, but all signs point towards very low numbers being available.

If the leaked dates from yesterday are true, I am going to be furious.

Apple is the largest, richest company in the world, with one of the most loyal customer bases. Is it really too much to ask that they stick to their word? Launch a product when it's ready and when you have the stock to meet demand. Why get people's backs up by claiming availability on the 24th and then immediately pushing it back. If they were not going to be ready by the 24th, they should have announced a later date.

batristain

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Richmond,VA
im wondering the same thing... do I wake up at 3am EST time, or do I wait till I roll into work at 7:30am to order??

I had planned to just order when I started work at 715am but after reading this thread I'm going to get up at 250am EST and just order it - get it over with and then go back to bed for a few more hours. I work from home this week so it's not such a big deal......

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Let's put it this way.....

Apple has VERY carefully managed every aspect of this device from start right up to now.
Doing every single thing it can to promote this as THE new device.

I would say Apple are going to MANAGE stock availability of this VERY carefully to make sure it looks like am amazing success that everyone is desperate to get their hands on.

And they will use whatever stock control/availability tricks they can, or they need to, to make sure it "Looks" this way.

I think you can work out for yourselfs the rest.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I would say Apple are going to MANAGE stock availability of this VERY carefully to make sure it looks like am amazing success that everyone is desperate to get their hands on.

And they will use whatever stock control/availability tricks they can, or they need to, to make sure it "Looks" this way.

Put your tinfoil hat away.... Apple has never done this, although they've been accused of this every single launch since the iPhone 1.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'd say minutes from the feeling I'm getting , and I've ordered online every phone since the 3G . I'll give it 10 minutes till some start to slip

I think the first to slip will be the space gray sport. It seems like a ton of people want that model. The others will slip based on how many they actually produce. I hate to say it, but I am sure the US has a much larger supply coming their way.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Put your tinfoil hat away.... Apple has never done this, although they've been accused of this every single launch since the iPhone 1.

So, you think that if demand was low, Apple would keep shipping as many as they possibly can units into stores even when the media started reporting, loads in stock sitting unsold.

You genuinly think Apple would keep pumping into the stores the stock they have build up ready in the warehouses?

I don't think even you would do this.
You would wish to balance it, to make it look very successful.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So, you think that if demand was low, Apple would keep shipping as many as they possibly can units into stores even when the media started reporting, loads in stock sitting unsold.

You genuinly think Apple would keep pumping into the stores the stock they have build up ready in the warehouses?

I don't think even you would do this.
You would wish to balance it, to make it look very successful.

I really do not think they are going to sell as crazy as the forums are making it out to be. I know zero people IRL, outside of myself, who is preordering this product or even cares about it....

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I'd say minutes from the feeling I'm getting , and I've ordered online every phone since the 3G . I'll give it 10 minutes till some start to slip

I just don't see this. For one, there are so many options vs. a handful with the iPhone.
Secondly, I still think the general public is 'lukewarm' on this at best. I am at a software company and of all the consultants and developers on my team, I don't know any of them who is ordering other than me, and I'm the 'old guy' who isn't even technical anymore.

Being on this forum skews our perception of the real demand for this watch.

That being said, NONE of us know the true supply which is obviously just as important as true demand.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

Apple has VERY carefully managed every aspect of this device from start right up to now.

This theory always comes up, but it doesn't hold much water.

Apple are purely interested in selling as many of these as they can.

The signs seem to show that stock is going to be limited, but this stinks more of broken promises, and people not willing to say no behind the scenes.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
The signs seem to show that stock is going to be limited, but this stinks more of broken promises, and people not willing to say no behind the scenes.

The point is, we have no idea if this is all part of the Managed Launch.

they must have pumped hundreds of millions of dollars into this.
Do you really think Apple are going to leave any aspect of the launch to chance.

They will have every single "What if" scenario carefully planned out, and what action they will take whatever happens to make this look successful.

I think we can all hear Tim Cook on stage now saying how amazed they were with the unpresendented demand for this new device.
And how it has sold far better than even they have expected.

That speech is probably already written now :)

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

As already mentioned this is one of those cynical viewpoints that always crops up when a new product is about to be launched by Apple. It even happens with other companies although in my mind there is no truth in it.

tylerdw89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
I have read that the Apple website often crashes during these preorders? With that thinking, it would be better to use the Apple Store App, correct? Has anyone had issues preordering from the app in the past?

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
We've waited how many years for Apple to come out with this watch, a few more weeks or even a month or two is no real problem. Especially until recently we've not even known for sure that Apple was even working on a watch.

Besides I've got my Pebble watch to tide me over. :p

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I have read that the Apple website often crashes during these preorders? With that thinking, it would be better to use the Apple Store App, correct? Has anyone had issues preordering from the app in the past?

It does. Use the Apple Store app, much easier and causes no stress. Well, when I've used it, no issues.

bluechair1984

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010

I've seen this happen the iPhone launches. I'm going to guess the demand for the watch is much less. Also during an iPhone launch the servers are talking to carrier servers to get upgrade eligibility. They won't have to do that for this launch.

The app seems to fair better during those launches, so my guess is that is a good choice.

Unfortunately for me, I have gift cards, and that means I have to use the website.

bobdob

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
I still can't believe the iOS Apple Store app doesn't take gift cards. I am in the same boat with a gift card. You can even add gift cards to passbook, but you can't use it to buy things on your phone that are made by apple and sold in their store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.