Preorder ever not arrived on Launch day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apple.pseudofan, Jun 12, 2010.

1. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

I live in an area that shouldn't be an obstacle for preorder to arrive on launch day. (Only reason I mention that is because I read that some iPad preorders didn't arrive until the next day due to living out in the boonies).

I want to preorder because I've done the lines twice and don't really want to do it a third time. Also, I'll be working 3rd shift that week, and should be waking up to my new iPhone 4 on Thursday evening. Preordering definitely has it's pros and cons and I'm looking for some input on what you all think:

Pros:
    Get it launch day
    Don't have to wait in lines or worry about available stock
    No hassles with AT&T people

Cons (risks):
    May not deliver it on launch day
    Still really like the white, but want to go with black to be safe. Will not get a hands on before ordering
    If it doesn't deliver on launch day, I'll have to delay leaving for a weekend vacation until after UPS delivers the following day, which will eat about 10 hrs from my vacation.

If I don't preorder, I'll get a hands on prior to choosing color, and may eliminate the risk of not getting it delivered on launch day. However, if places locally are out of stock, I won't get to an Apple Store until the 25th, and they could then be out of stock. Potentially really pushing back the date I will be able to upgrade.

I know it is a bunch of stress over a couple of days (or even hrs in the preorder case), but the iPhone is probably the only product the does this to me.

Ideal case: Preorder and love the color. It is ready for me when I wake up thursday.

Has anyone here ever preordered an Apple product and not had it delivered by the promised launch date? If so, why wasn't it delivered?

Thanks for reading and for your help.

2. vmagg88 macrumors member

vmagg88

I have pre-ordered in the past and have always gotten it on launch day

3. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

There are a lot of pros and cons to weigh out. I think the easiest is just to preorder and have it ship to your door. Also keep in mind if you preorder for store pickup, do not order with AT&T as you will not be able to pick it up until the 25th. You'll want to preorder with Apple to pick up on the 24th.

And to answer your primary question, the chances are it has happened. Maybe not at the fault of Apple or AT&T but the shipping carrier most likely.

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

i wonder...would it be possible to preorder at apple for in-store pickup but go to a best buy or at&t to try to get one without preorder?

or could you preorder with att and apple and go to whichever one gets you the phone on launch day?

5. vmagg88 macrumors member

vmagg88

No, if you pre-order from apple, you pick up at apple. If you pre-order at ATT you pick up from ATT. You can have either ATT or Apple ship to you though.

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

i know that :rolleyes:

i'm saying could you go to an att store or best buy on launch day and try to get one but keep your apple preorder as a backup?

7. vmagg88 macrumors member

vmagg88

Yes, I believe if you do not pick up your pre-order then it gets sold after a period of time. Sorry for the confusion LOL.

8. iBLAKEE macrumors 6502

Yes. You have 1 day to pick-up a reserved item at apple, otherwise it goes back into the regular stock.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

What time during the day do they usually arrive by if shipped? My fedex or UPS guy comes around 3-4p I'm guessing it would be on their normal route?

Also, do you think they'll come with Micro SIM since the normal SIM won't fit or will we have to go to the at&t store anyway?

10. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

sounds good. i think this is what i'm gonna do.

i would love to have it delivered to my door but i'm not patient enough for that :p

11. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

my iPhone's have always arrived around 10am from FedEX

12. vmagg88 macrumors member

vmagg88

Yes it will come with a SIM pre-loaded

13. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

AT&T actually bumped their free 2 day shipping to overnight shipping last year to a lot of people who preordered the 3GS so they can receive it on the lauch date. There were also reports from people here at macrumors and tipb about receiving iPhone a day before launch date.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Excellent! Thanks for the answers guys.

Now I'm just trying to figure out if I should wait in line at the Apple store with my active 23 month old boy or just get it shipped (hope it arrives around 10) even though I've got to be at work at 2:30p that day.

15. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Sure you could do this but the price you pay at the second point of purchase will be the No Commitment price. Your full subsidy or partial subsidy was used on the pre-order.

The happened last year, and then they complained that they wanted someone to refund them the difference when they knew better than to buy the second phone. :rolleyes:

Dave

16. SexyBeast macrumors regular

I'm calling in sick to work just so I can be home to sign for the iPhone when it arrives.

17. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I've been going back and forth trying to decide how I'm going to go about this. I think I've decided to skip pre-ordering and just wait early at AT&T on launch. I have class from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. that day and don't want to miss signing for it if it arrives while I'm gone. I figure I'll get their pretty early and just sit there and read the stuff I need to for class and then be in and out relatively quickly (and before FedEx would be at my house).