Preorder iPhone 4 and add my old 3GS as a second line?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ellsass, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Ellsass macrumors member

I would like to get the iPhone 4 at launch and hand down my 3GS to my wife. She has Virgin Mobile and would like to port her number. (I know this is possible because I ported from VM when I got my iPhone.) I would like to add her to my account, converting it from individual to Family Talk.

Can I do this by pre-ordering online? We will pick up the phone at the Apple Store (preferably) or an AT&T store (only if we need to, for some reason).

I know all about backing up my 3GS' data on my PC ahead of time so I don't lose anything. I'm just confused about how AT&T handles their accounts and I'd like to get it all wrapped up within a week of launch.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Why don't you just buy the iPhone 4 on a second line and then just swap the phones?

You can also port in a number after a line is activated.

3. Ellsass thread starter macrumors member

I didn't know that was possible. How exactly do we swap them, considering the different-sized SIM cards? Does Apple or AT&T do this for you in the store?

And could I have my wife buy the 4 as a new customer (at the discounted rate), then swap them so I'm using the 4 and she has the 3GS?

4. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Your best bet would be to pre-order an upgrade of your line from Apple for home delivery. Complete the activation. Then I would suggest you stop by an AT&T COR location to pickup a new SIM for your wife to use in her (new to her iPhone 3GS). Your old SIM can't be reused. While you are there, you can setup the FamilyTalk plan and port her Virgin Mobile number and activate her SIM. When she get's home she will be able to use iTunes to complete the setup of her iPhone 3GS and you will look like a hero.

If you really don't like retail, and you want to do extra work, you can go early and get a new SIM (may be charged $15) but then you can use iTunes to activate her a new line and start the porting process and then call AT&T Customer Care to merge the lines into the FamilyTalk rate plan.

Dave

5. Ellsass thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Dave. Is there any particular reason why I should have it delivered to my house? I'd prefer to avoid that for two reasons: 1) I most likely won't be home to accept the delivery; and 2) the Apple Store and AT&T store are both located in the same mall, so if I am going to the AT&T store anyway I might as well pick up the new iPhone (first) during the same trip.

6. bmms8 macrumors 68020

are you upgrade eligible? if not, i would go to the ATT store and port her number to the new iphone 4. you can then swap sims. all she would need is a regular sized sim card from ATT. that way she gets the phone for 200/300 and no matter what, your account isnt touched in terms of contract extension. be sure that your number is the primary line though for future updates. take care.

7. bmms8 macrumors 68020

also, if you upgrade eligible, i would highly recommend you both get the iphone 4 and sell the 3gs for some cash. in the end youll make money and both of you will have the latest and greatest and youll be able to use facetime as well.

8. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Well, AT&T has stated the pre-order in-store pickups would begin on June 25 ( Launch day + 1 ) and your actual date is based on their inventory. So if you are not in a rush, then you might want to go to AT&T COR location and complete all the steps in one stop.

When and where can I pick up my preordered device?

As always, a pick up date depends on when you preorder and on our available inventory. That said, this year we’re encouraging customers to have devices shipped directly to their home or business – the fastest and most convenient delivery option. Customers can also opt to pick up their preorder at an AT&T store. Customers performing an exchange for iPhone 4 must have their device shipped to an AT&T store.​

source: http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/iphone/preorder_fact_sheet_ip4.pdf

Preordering

Consumers may preorder iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS 8GB at AT&T retail stores or online at www.att.com/iphone beginning June 15. Business customers can preorder through their AT&T sales representative or by visiting AT&T’s Premier site. For greater convenience and faster delivery, preorders can be shipped directly to a customer’s home or business for delivery as early as June 24. Customers can also have a preorder shipped to their local AT&T store for pick up on or after Friday, June 25.

source: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=18004&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=30863&mapcode=consumer|Wireless

Dave

9. Ellsass thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Dave and bmms8. I'm actually starting to think of just getting two 4s (I'm not upgrade eligible, but I think I'll just sell the 3GS to offset that extra $200, then next year I can get it the newest model at the cheap price).

Dave, I'm not sure why you keep mentioning the AT&T store but not the Apple store. I'm leaning toward Apple because I'd rather get the phone on launch day (Thursday) since I'm leaving town on Friday evening for the weekend. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why I can't buy from Apple and then walk over to AT&T to sort out any account issues that Apple can't handle.

So if I do end up getting two new 4s, I guess my best bet would be to pre-order both phones separately (mine as an early upgrade, hers as a new contract) for in-store pickup at Apple. We'd go and pick them up and activate them, then head over to AT&T, change my account from individual to Family Talk, then add her line added to my account. Does that sound about right?

10. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Yes, your plan for the two iPhone 4 solution will work just fine with a mix of Apple to purchase and AT&T to adjust everything. Just a couple of reminders: 1. Make sure that you keep your Unlimited data plan on your line ( if you want it ) and a reminder that your wife can't get the Unlimited data plan on her iPhone 4.

I kept mentioning AT&T since you mentioned it in your post above about Apple and AT&T being in the same mall and you stated that you were going to the AT&T Store anyway.

I just wanted you to know the differences between a pre-order in-store pickup between Apple and AT&T, since in your posts you were not clear if you minded hitting both stores to get everything setup.

Apple stores can do somethings well but when you get to plan migrations and or plan merges, you are going to have to go to AT&T or call AT&T. Some customers don't like to make multipe stops to get their phones working.

Heck, if you want to sightsee you could do the whole loop: Apple, BestBuy, RadioShack, and then AT&T :D

Dave

11. Ellsass thread starter macrumors member

Ha! Normally I hate malls/shopping/etc but this is sort of a one time thing (or once a year thing) and I want to make sure I get everything right. Recently I've been able to avoid malls long enough that I think I've built up enough tolerance to get all of this done :) The two stores are a 2 minute walk from each other, so I don't mind going back and forth.

12. MurphyM macrumors 6502

Same boat as original poster. Including the trip on Friday !

Dave - you're awesome. This sounds so straightforward and sensible. And it never occurred to me to do it that way. Probably because I was initially in the mindset that I wasn't eligible for an upgrade but I am now. I kept thinking about this in terms of not using an upgrade - mental block !

Thanks for giving me a plan !!