Preorder issue, insight please!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elephunkman, Jun 17, 2010.

1. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Ok, so I placed my order in an AT&T STORE on 6/15. Just today, I had my Amex stolen. I called Amex and they said my card was charged $214 on 6/15 so that means the charge did go through.

I am worried because my receipt from AT&T says, "When your order is shipped, your credit card will be charged." But, Amex sees an authorization of $214 on my previous card. I'm worried that when the order does ship, it will charge the invalid card and won't go through.

AT&T store said all direct fulfillment orders are currently suspended and they can't do anything. All I want to do is update my card info.

I'm screwed right?

2. pugnut macrumors 6502a

AMEX gave them an authorization and that will not change because they will issue you a new card. You need to tell AMEX that the charge is valid so they will allow it to go through. Do not change your card with AT&T for sure they will drop you in the process, that is my opinion. Call amex and confirm. I travel a lot and have had my cards stolen and never had a issued with holds or something that is pending.

Call Amex and confirm.

3. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Called AMEX first thing and they actually invalidated the card for me like they were psychic or something haha. I'm sure I told the nice lady 10 times that I want that charge to happen and it is not fraudulent. But, I'm worried that AT&T will charge the invalid card on Tuesday/Wednesday and it won't go through. OR does AT&T just take the authorized money from 6/15? I'm so clueless.

4. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

If all this comes crashing down on Saturday (when I get my new card), I have a reservation with Apple ready.

5. coelacanth macrumors 6502

Does AT&T *actually* charges for the phone at the order placement? Typically what stores do is run a temporary charge to see if the account is valid and has enough credit left. That charge/hold will go away sooner or later. Then when they actually ship the merchandise, they'll actually charge the card.

If the charge that you saw and told AMEX valid is only the temporary hold, that will go away anyway, and AT&T will try to use the now-invalid card when they are ready to ship the phone so it won't go through. As AT&T said, probably it's not possible to change the card on order at this point.

6. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh man, I don't see how hard it would be to change the card info.

7. coelacanth macrumors 6502

If you have a reservation, I think it's better to cancel the preorder now and line up in the reserved line. If the initial pre-order isn't canceled by the launch date, your subsidized phone is already ordered and the contract has been extended to 2012 so you'll have to buy the phone at full price at Apple Store.

When you do #NEW*, do you see your upgrade eligibility date now or 2012?

8. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

It's an add a line. Maybe I should wait until Tuesday/Wednesday because it has to ship by then for my order to be received on the 24th. If it doesn't go through, it will automatically be cancelled, but if it does go through then I'd be cool.