Preorder or line...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darnovo, Oct 5, 2011.

1. darnovo macrumors regular

when you preorder, do you always get it the day of, or is it faster to wait in line the morning of?

2. rkahl macrumors 65816

Either way you're still gonna wait in line. If you pre-order and choose pick up, you still have to wait in line. Just pre-order and have it shipped to you. You will get it on launch day if you pre-order fast enough.

3. tikitommy macrumors regular

If you get in on the frontline of pre-orders, then you should get it the day it is released with a few cases of getting it the day before.

4. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Who said anything about in-store pickup?

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Neither. If you have the ability to wait it will pay of handsomely.

The iPhone 4S is a mediocre placeholder while Apple plays catch up and completes the real contender to the Android.

That's going to be the iPhone to have. Anything else at this point is a complete waste of time and money.

I'm so convinced of this, because of my long standing status as an Apple customer and enthusiast, that I am skipping the 4S and even the 5, if for that matter the 5 is anything more than a myth designed to mislead people into thinking that Apple has been innovating, but simply couldn't get it done.

6. rkahl macrumors 65816

Because the OP asked if it was easier to wait in line the morning of. When you pre-order you have 2 choices: In-store pickup or shipped to you.

7. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Nope.

It was not offered for the iPad 2.

And there is currently no official word on whether or not in-store pickup will happen for the 4S.

8. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I pre-ordered my previous iPhones and had them shipped. IIRC, they were shipped overnight the day before and arrived on release day (at whatever time UPS comes).

I may have gotten it a few hours after the store opened, but I had more important things to do than wait in a line for a phone.

9. tikitommy macrumors regular

Do we know if there will be an actual pickup/reservation option?

Last year, there was an option to "reserve" an in-store pickup.

So when you showed up on launch day, they set up two lines. One for reservation holders and one for non reservation holders. My store in particular, Old Orchard Skokie, IL, had enough phones and were allowing 10-15 reservation holders for every one non-reservation holders.

10. rkahl macrumors 65816

Oh, so you have all the answers then.

11. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

There is no official word yet (in any country, as far as I'm aware).

----------

I never said I did. Anything at this point is pure speculation.

12. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

You can preorder in store at carrier stores

13. rkahl macrumors 65816

What's the name of this site?

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

In the past pre-orders were delivered day of launch or sometimes day before in rare instances. Usually Apple shuts down the pre-orders once it sells out of units for launch day delivery OR they will be specific that you won't receive yours on launch day.

Launch day in line is usually a fustercluck. Given the chance to pre-order I do it every time. Unfortunately Apple doesn't always do pre-order so I've been stuck waiting in line a few times. Line goes fast. It's the camping out a couple hours before opening that is the time waster I hate.

15. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

I do not work for this site, nor is this the Front Page.

And plenty of people come to the forums for factual information. Saying in-store pickup is available is not a fact as of yet.

----------

Source?

16. rkahl macrumors 65816

WOW... OK! Sorry to get your panties in a bunch. Sorry people, I might be spreading Rumors on MacRumors. Please accept my deepest apologies.

17. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Just have it shipped from Apple. It's so much easier.

18. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

19. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

People aren't coming to the forums looking for rumors. They're coming to the forums because they are asking specific questions regarding things that aren't rumors anymore.

20. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Your posts stating (and restating, and restating, and restating, ...) your opinion on the 4S are becoming tiresome. BTW, anyone who refers to "the Android" as competitor to the iPhone is just showing their ignorance.

"Android" (it's an OS, not a phone) is the operating system for dozens of mediocre and a few decent handsets. Not even one of those Android handsets however has managed to outsell even the iPhone 3GS, a two year old phone.

Please stop acting so personally offended by Apple's decisions regarding their update plans. The 4S will break sales records just like every previous iPhone model has. Apple knows what they're doing better than you do.

Off to the "Ignore list" you go...

21. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

I don't see anywhere that says you can pre-order in store for in store pickup.

22. rkahl macrumors 65816

I'm glad you can speak for everyone, now kindly step down from your pedestal!

23. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I won't be up at 3am and there won't be a huge rush to preorder at the local Verizon store compared to the apple site.

24. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Has anyone ordered from ATT store the first day of iPhone 4 preorders? Did it also ship on/before June 24th?

25. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

You're right, I guess I was dealing with an uninformed employee. I got this reply from a Customer service rep.

"Good afternoon. I certainly understand your interest to obtain more information regarding the pre-order of the iPhone 4S. As someone also anxious to purchase this device, and I too would be asking the same questions. My name is Rebecca and I am delighted to assist you with discussing the pre-order process. The pre-order is only available via online at www.verizonwireless.com on October 7, 2011. The device will not be available in stores until the official launch date of October 14, 2011."