Preorder Starcraft 2 at Game Stop = Beta key today!

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Alphakline, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Alphakline macrumors regular

Alphakline

2. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

How long is the beta going for? I guess $5 would be worth it.

3. Alphakline thread starter macrumors regular

Alphakline

My gamestop receipt says code expires May 31, 2010. I believe the final release is rumored to be in June.

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

What $5?

The base retail game is going to cost $59 according to various sources. They are just throwing in a beta key for free if you order SC2 from them. Seems like a good deal!

5. Alphakline thread starter macrumors regular

Alphakline

$5 is all you need to pre-order the rest will be needed to pick up the actualy copy.

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Ohhh, I see. But it's not an extra $5, you'll only have to pay the difference when you pick it up.

How long did it take you to get your beta key? Did it come in the confirmation email for your order, or a separate one?

7. Alphakline thread starter macrumors regular

Alphakline

There are 3 ways to get it.
    1) go to the store and pre-order in person. The key will be printed on the receipt.

2) order online at gamestop.com for home shipping. The key will be emailed within 24 hours.

3) pre-order at gamestop.com and store pickup. They key will be emailed within 24 hours.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Right. I assumed you went with option 2. Is this incorrect?

9. Alphakline thread starter macrumors regular

Alphakline

I went to the store. There are plenty around me in the US.

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Oh, i see, my bad :)

I just pre-ordered it online. We'll see how long it takes for me to get the key. Hope it works!

11. StopSign24 macrumors regular

Now I guess the decision lies in whether or not I want to buy the collectors edition or not.

12. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

Dumb question: is the big SC2 promo at Gamestop for PC _and_ Mac? I assume, like other Blizzard games, that the installation disks will be formatted to work for both... but I didn't see any mention of Mac support on the pre-order page.

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah I wasn't sure about this either, but I assumed they'd be selling one copy as a hybrid kinda deal like in the past. I could be wrong though.

14. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yes.

To anyone buying the collector's edition, there is a 25% off coupon (25OFF is the code, I think) for orders over $100. Expires at the end of April.

15. StopSign24 macrumors regular

Well, you can't use it on Starcraft 2 since it's 99.99, and if you add a 1 dollar item to boost it above 100 bucks, it just takes 25% off of the lowest price item.

Edit: Ok, so to make this work you have to add Starcraft 2 Collectors edition to your cart, then find something for a dollar or two and add that to your cart. THEN add the coupon code, otherwise it won't work.

16. Cougarcat macrumors 604

No, it takes 25% off every item.

Attached Files:

17. ShStylo macrumors member

I ordered mine online at 12AM PST. Called a couple of local Gamestop, EBGames near me and they are all out of Beta keys but then again I live in Canada so go figure. Don't hesitate if you like this game, I'd suggest and go pre-order, even if you end up not liking the game, playing a game for $5 for a month sounds pretty sweet to me still. Think of it as a rental. :)

18. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I have a feeling that i'll just never receive this supposed email from Gamestop about my beta key... :p

19. ShStylo macrumors member

keep us updated if you do. I'll be sure to do the same. Haven't seen anything yet. Apparently people are saying they may run out even for folks online .... :(

20. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Just got my email with the beta key! I placed the only order about 5 hours ago, so it was much faster than 24 hours.

I'm confused though. I want to use the Mac client (which is coming out next week.) If I upgrade my battle.net account now will I only be allowed to download the PC client? I don't want to partition my drive just for Starcraft 2

21. ShStylo macrumors member

Wow! Really? Lucky you...

You can upgrade it now and download the Mac client when it comes out. I would just redeem the key now in case something happens.

22. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, I'm actually really surprised. I figured they'd never send one and I'd have to cancel my preorder :)

The key worked great, there's even a placeholder image for the upcoming Mac client:

Attached Files:

23. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I ordered a couple hours ago. They've changed it so that the collector's edition is no longer eligible for % off discount offers. I guess I just missed it... :(

I haven't got my beta key yet, but I'm keeping an eye on my inbox.

24. ShStylo macrumors member

Did your order status change on Gamestop? Mine still says "verifying" and haven't gotten a key. Kind of getting impatient :(

25. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I just got back from the store. The key was on the receipt. I called first and they sounded like they didn't even know what I was talking about. Must have been the first one :D

Now I just need to fix my Boot Camp...

Edit: fixed. Downloading now :cool: