Preorder through apple store app, keep unlimited?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jhearty99, Sep 11, 2014.

1. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

Does anyone know if i preordered through the apple store app if I can keep my grandfathered unlimited plan? Even if I have to choose something else, the phone doesn't come activated so would I just be able to bring to an att store before activating and keep the plan?

2. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Yep... it goes through the same update system as it would if you were in att or apple store. You're good to go. I've had unlimited from iPhone 1 and plan on keeping it tonight with my 6.

All you'll need to do is turn it on when it gets to you and it will do it's thing..... just remember your old sim/phone will be un-useable as it will kill the sim.

3. jhearty99 thread starter macrumors 6502

jhearty99

Awesome thanks. I thought I read something that if you bought the 5s last year through apple, there was no option to keep the unlimited data. Wasn't sure if that was true and if it was the same this year.

4. cnotes2019 Suspended

Do you have Att or verizon?

5. infam0uz macrumors regular

infam0uz

Ok so, im an att customer and are you saying if i order it thru the apple website, i should be good to go - how about if i order from att site, what about the option of picking it up in store or apple website will take care of it?

6. jhearty99 thread starter macrumors 6502

jhearty99

If you preorder from att, you can choose to keep same plan. But their website is always terrible during preorders. I read that if I ordered through apple that there would be no option to keep unlimited data. However, I'm pretty sure that even if this is the case, that when the phone gets delivered, don't turn it on with the sim that is in it. Take the sim out, and replace with my current SIM card and I should be good to go.

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

8. infam0uz macrumors regular

infam0uz

I have the grandfathered plan as well, so im one of the lucky ones and i dont wanna screw things up, but which method would be the best? Suggestion?

Also the sim would be out of a Iphone5 - would the 6+ carry the same sim size?

9. nandopr macrumors regular

nandopr

I called twice to ask that question. Also visited the store. They told me that nothing will change.

I always do it with apple and (so far) never lost the unlimited data.

My contract ends on the on Sept 14, but I am eligible for a full upgrade now. This year I will go with Next. I don't want a contract and the $500 plus I was going to pay for the phone with subsidy will save it and in a month or two will add $400 and the phone will be pay off.