Preorder thru apple or att?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DrWhiteFPS, Jun 10, 2009.

1. DrWhiteFPS macrumors member

Any advantage to either? anyone out there have any experience?

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

If you go through Apple, the only way to guarantee one on the 19th is to get it shipped to you. Apple Stores where you "reserve" one MAY run out.

With AT&T, you can pay ahead of time and they will have one shipped to the store for you to grab when you want on the 19th.

3. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

And, with more AT&T stores, it is more likely you will be able to preorder one and there will probably be a shorter line with AT&T.

4. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

It depends if you want atat people touching your phone , or you want your phone shiped to your house by apple

5. DrWhiteFPS thread starter macrumors member

'nuff said. I think I'll just have it shipped by apple...

6. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

That's what I did.

7. damesJ macrumors member

I thought AT&T ships it directly to you?

8. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

I believe AT&T is shipping directly to me.

9. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

You have to go to the store and pick it up if you ordered it in store. Online is shipped. I chose to do this because 1) my friend wanted to do a launch camp out and 2) I wanted to get my hands on one as fast as possible (7am)

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I tried Apple first. Got to the part where I had to choose a store (???) and put in my city. No dice. Put in the city of the closest Apple Store. Still came back to the same page. "Screw this!"

Went to AT&T page. Told them I wanted the $30 data plan, $5 text plan, which line it's on, put my credit card number in, and my order is done. Free overnight shipping, so I should get it at least the weekend after the sale date. I've got an original iPhone, so it's not like with this phone and my MBP when I was climbing up the walls waiting.

11. coolbreeze07 macrumors newbie

coolbreeze07

Did AT&T. That way I dont have to sleep on the street to get a phone. Thats a little much for me

12. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

My biggest concern is that AT&T usually gets less stock than the Apple stores. It happened last year, it was actually a better bet to wait in line at the Apple store rather than play the game with AT&T the first 2 months. What's to stop Apple from intentionally withholding stock from AT&T to keep attention on its stores again this year? :rolleyes:

13. Atomicfission92 macrumors regular

I spoke to one of the managers at my local Apple store, he was basically saying that reserving an iPhone 3G S online sort of guarantees you to get one on launch day. He said the way they are working it this year, is they are ordering how ever many preorders of the phone plus a whole bunch more. The one you reserved will sit around with your name on it, on the 20th it will be put back into general stock. So as long as you get there on the 19th you should be good to go.... Now I am going to be there when the store opens, but it is sort of nice for them to work the program this way, instead of crossing your fingers that you would get one on launch day.

14. jmh0523 macrumors member

Hmm, I was debating on what to do myself.. I couldn't originally get apple to work because of the family plan issue--saw this "fix" for it later but went ahead and ordered through ATT online.. I called my store and they hadn't heard of the iphone 3g s yet lol. (this was launch day).

Again I went through ATT's online process for it to be shipped to my home.. My wondering is apple or ATT for the online part. Some questions I had were: will apple be faster because they have a direct supply etc. (Also many have said apple now pretty much ensures a june 19th delivery if you're doing preorder online to your home soon enough, yadada.. ATT still states when I got my confirmation:overnight priority as early as june 19th--actual shipment date and receipt of order not guaranteed--subject to delays because of certain factors yadada.

Im hoping ATT doesn't slack and can guarantee some, it says first come first served basis for all preorders online (i did mine the morning they finally started taking preorders *the 9th*)

Ty