Preorder Verizon iPhone X on aIUP - current Verizon DPP balance

rsbacon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2015
Has anyone been able to buy an iPhone on IUP while there is a pending balance on a Verizon DPP? Does it allow you to sign up for IUP while continuing to pay off the DPP balance or does the balance have to be paid off before you can buy the phone?

Maybe I'm being overly simplistic, but I'm looking at it as a BYOD situation from Verizon's perspective. They shouldn't care if I buy a new phone from Apple as long as I continue to make payments towards the DPP agreement. Right?

Situation:

I am on T-Mobile. My mom is on Verizon and I am the account manager. We got her an iPhone 7 last year via the $650 trade-in promo. She still has 11 payments left but gets bill credits every month towards the $650 promo

I would like to buy the Verizon version if at all possible. Plan B is pay full price for the T-Mobile version.

Paging @JulesJam

KB24Slam

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Orange County, CA
If I'm understanding correctly, you want to join the IUP and get a new phone with new monthly payments while also paying off your old phone through Verizon's lease program?

rsbacon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2015
If I'm understanding correctly, you want to join the IUP and get a new phone with new monthly payments while also paying off your old phone through Verizon's lease program?
Correct.

KB24Slam

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Orange County, CA
You'll be fine. Verizon and Apple don't care how many different phones or leases you have going on as long as you keep paying them off. You can easily switch your phone number over to the new one the day you activate it. If I were you, I'd go apply for the program right now if I could and get everything set up for tonight's preorder. You don't want to be going through all of those extra steps, credit check, etc at midnight. Could cost you weeks for delivery. Good luck!

rsbacon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2015
Thanks guys, I'm concerned about bill credits stopping on the DPP. I would potentially be leaving $325 on the table out of the $650 promo if they treat this as an upgrade.