Preorder with one service then have another pay out your ETF?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vdubguy18, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Vdubguy18 macrumors member

Ok...So I have done some reading on the contract and I have spoken with Verizon about this on the phone.

I have upgraded 2 of my lines with a 6 and a 6+. I plan to then switch over to Tmobile as they actually have good service here in the Tampa area. (I tried out the test drive program several months ago when it was released).

My theory to this is that I will be subject to the ETF's for the lines. I just am wondering if I will have to maintain the lines for 15 days. This will allow me to clear the 14 day return policy for Verizon. And I will just have to still pay the ETF and activation/upgrade fee.

I essentially just want to pay the ETF and be done and go to Tmobile and not have Verizon try and tell me I am responsible for the full price of the devices.

Anyone have any ideas or anyone done this yet? Again I have read through the contract on the return/cancelation at it appears I'm only going to have to pay the ETF. I could get away without paying activation fees if I were to cancel within the first 3 days. But then I think I risk falling in the return policy and would have to return the phone or be responsible for the full price of the device.

Thanks for any positive input. I would really like for this to stay on topic and not turn in to a Tmobile service is not good type of thread.

Thanks

2. rritterson macrumors 6502

Sound like that would work on the Verizon end.

Keep in mind the tmobile eft reimbursement comes as a preloaded debit card 8-12 weeks later, so you'll have to pay the eft yourself in the meantime. Also, last I checked, to get the reimbursement you had to trade in a phone on each line you wanted the reimbursement for, and buy a new phone via tmobile. So you would have to trade in your brand new iPhones and then buy two new ones. Doesn't seem worth it.

If you're willing to pay the ETFs yourself then it should be fine, but ETF+ discount phone is almost as much as an unlocked full price phone, no?

3. Vdubguy18 thread starter macrumors member

Already talked to tMobile and they accept any phone in trade does not have to be the one from the active line. They will allow even broken phones in on trade. However, I will be trading in my two iPhone 5 phones and getting the additional $50 over the other highest carrier trade in.

Then I will use my verizon iPhone 6's on the new tmobile service.

4. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I would imagine that carriers have something in place to try and prevent this sort of abuse. If you want to switch to T-Mobile, why don't you just do it instead of trying to pull of this switcharoo?

5. Vdubguy18 thread starter macrumors member

Essentially cause of the full price cost by purchasing at TMobile. Secondly because the Verizon version of the iPhone has all of the bands which would allow me to use the phone on more carriers then just a tmobile version.

Not really abuse...I'm just taking advantage of another carriers offer to buy me out. Im not upgrading to the most expensive phones and attempting to resell them for profit just using my upgrade that I have earned by completing my contract. So I am simply just getting what I need and then taking up a better offer from a competitor.

Trust me I contacted Verizon and talked with them at great lengths to attempt to get some sort of plan that would work for my needs. However, at the end of the day they stated they could not help me and suggested I do the same as a consumer.

6. macblitz macrumors member

macblitz

Yes, it should work. I would be doing something similar too if I had tmobile signal in my office.

I see no abuse or anything wrong. I'm sure t-mobile is aware of this.
    T-mobile will still attract customers this way and make some money.

It is an abuse if someone did this trick more than once. For example jump to tmobile, jump to verizon, jump back to tmobile every 6 months.

7. Vdubguy18 thread starter macrumors member

Curious is anyone else is planning to do this switch as well with any carrier...I know sprint has an offer out there but Sprint service is well...ya we will just leave it at that...LOL

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Isn't paying the ETF the same as paying the full price for the device?

9. Vdubguy18 thread starter macrumors member

Nope...it ends up being a bit less...