Preorder X with Apple Gift Card

ag21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Has anyone successfully (and easily) preordered prior iPhones using an Apple gift card? Use the app or the site?

Seems like my best option (outside of selling locally) is to take the $375 for my 7 from Apple and put it toward the X. Second question would be, can you stay on a Next plan with AT&T when preordering. Would that $375 cover tax and act like down payment?

Thanks in advance! Enjoy the weekend.

Last edited:

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
I used a gift card to pay for part of my iPhone 8+. I had the gift card in my apple wallet and used the Apple Store app on my phone. Piece of cake.

Reactions: ag21

Buddhake

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2016
I used a gift card to pay for part of my iPhone 8+. I had the gift card in my apple wallet and used the Apple Store app on my phone. Piece of cake.
Yeah me too. On iOS if it's in the wallet the Apple Store app sees it and makes it even easier. Otherwise just enter the PIN at the checkout screen. You can't use the Apple Pay option, though as that has no way to do gift cards. Select 'other payment options'

Reactions: ag21 and profets

elykoj

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
The gift card option seems easy enough, but what if we have our old phone to trade in? how does that work?