Preordered Canon HF10

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by johny5, Feb 11, 2008.

1. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I was after a Canon HG10 but then came across the HG20 and the HF10.
    All I really do is film the family and holidays, but I felt the urge to jump onto the HD bandwagon as I only have a JVC Everio mc-200ek. I love the JVC as its tiny but had to impulse buy the HF10 as its both HD and uses internal memory along with SD cards.

Anyone else preordered the HF10 and reasons why?

I found the cheapest place in the UK is at play.com

2. 1999ncsu macrumors newbie

I haven't preordered, but it is the camcorder I really want. I bought a canon powershot sd400 and loved it. So I started looking at their camcorders. I was excited when I saw the are releasing a flash camcorder. I like flash because of the lack of moving parts and you can pop it out and use a card reading instead of hooking the camcorder up (the HF100).

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

But currently flash is pretty slow, so you still have to deal with AVCHD and its processing and compression artifacts, especially motion. If you are videotaping your kids playing sports, $1000 is a lot of money for subpar video.

I'm holding off for the faster/larger flash camcorders that record video with more fidelity than ADCHD, maybe even better than HDV,

4. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

I'm also thinking of getting an HF100 (same as HF10 but cheaper and with no internal flash memory). There's a well-written review on camcorderinfo.com that persuaded me it'll be good enough instead of an HV20/30 - small size and no tape motor noise will be good for me.

Amazon is same price as Play - I'm waiting for some to come in stock somewhere with sensible delivery times. Hoping for before 5th April when I go to Cuba for 2 weeks...

5. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Anybody gotten one of these yet? Any first impressions?

6. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

still waiting for these to be released in the UK :( I am guessing its the 30th April now...

7. nutmac macrumors 68040

As long as you stick with quality class 4 or 6 SDHC cards (e.g., SanDisk Ultra II and Extreme III), you won't have any performance issue. HF10 and HF100 are pretty good at handling motion, with artifacts slightly worse than or comparable to HV30.

8. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

just picked one up yesterday and its nice for the size
    so far played with it a bit so these are early observations with limited use

image quality is not that of my HDRFX1 of course but its still very nice for the size :)
    I can fit this little guy inside the hood of my fx ! its that small

I have not had or used the small tape or disc based models of the sony or canon consumer models just what I have seen on camcorderinfo

but to me the small size no HD to fail no tapes to worry about etc.. its perfect
    I wanted the 10 as the price for a built in 16 gb is not that bad a good (like Nutmac said) 16 gig like the sandisk is still about $150 so this way I can have 16 built in 16 in the slot a extended battery and nothing to loose for the whole day

same reason I have a point and shoot vs a 1D size camera for daily shooting (I am a photographer for living) I like small light and easy when I am out and going to the park etc...

I might for fun do some comparisons with the FX1 if I get time

in our living room with minimal lighting at night there is noise in the video and its not perfect but not horrible

bright outside light the contrast is a bit higher than I like while I prefer the smoother look of the FX1 but also I have not played with cinemode yet on the HF10 which might help
    colors can bloom a little and highlights can blow out a little colors can look a bit overcooked
    but then again I am coming from a FX1 ? as I have not had a small camera in many years
    I guess I can say comparing a small point and shoot to my pro bodies in the still world is about like this HF10 camera compared to my FX1

its very nice for what it is

as far as waiting ? I can always wait but my almost 4 year old will never have these years back and I want to record them the best I can

9. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

I totally agree with your comment about waiting! :)
    I am a gadget freak and always want the latest and greatest gadgets but you have to jump on the wagon somewhere and buy something that you need to use right now.

Just checked my order on play's website and it is "packing" so I guess it should arrive in the next few days!
    so bloody excited to see this since I have had it on order from Feb and also had my 16gb SD memory stick waiting on my desk :D

I hope the low light recording is better than my current JVC everio mc20ek (its pretty poor that I have to turn on 15-20 fps AND backlight enhancement) and then it sort of records in a grainy colourless picture.
    I am sure it will be, ive read sooo many reviews on it :p

10. faustofernos macrumors member

faustofernos

Editing HF100 footage

Hey buddy, what's the experience of editing the files created by the Canon HF100? Can you post some of the files here so we can download and play with them?

What software are you using to edit them?

Thanks!