preordering 4S under different phone number

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by e1itepirate, Oct 4, 2011.

1. e1itepirate macrumors newbie

Ok so here's the deal. I'm still on a family plan with my parents and I got an iPhone 4 back in July 2010. My mom has had the same dumb phone for the past 5 years and has no intention of getting a new phone any time soon. I want to preorder the 4S using her phone number and have it shipped to my house. I know though if I get the phone and activate it in iTunes my moms dumb phone will no longer work. Does anyone how I can activate it with my number? Will I have to take it to an AT&T store? Also I will have to add a data plan to my moms line to order the phone, will I be able to take the data plan off if the iPhone never gets activated on her line? Thanks.

2. Khryz macrumors 6502a

http://guides.macrumors.com/iPhone_Upgrade_Guide

So it looks like even if YOU have a grandfathered Unlimited Plan, you would still be able to retain it even if you're doing an upgrade swap (if someone can confirm that would be awesome).

3. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Yeah I'd like to do this as well. Problem is, I'd be wanting to steal the upgrade from my mom or grandpa, but they both live in Florida, and I live in New York now (we're all still on one family plan). I'm wondering if it would be okay to get the phone sent here and then just physically take it to an AT&T store to have them perform the upgrade swap. I'll stop by an AT&T store tomorrow to ask and get back to you guys.

4. e1itepirate thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks a lot. That seems simple enough.