Preordering and Grandfathering Unlimited

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeerNap, Jun 9, 2010.

1. BeerNap macrumors newbie

I know there's lots of speculation out there about the preordering process. Since unlimited is no longer a plan choice, would it be displayed as a choice for peeps that are grandfathered? If it is not, should I proceed? I understand there is no going back and AT&T may use it as an excuse to get rid of 1 more unlimited customer.

2. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

My advice is to simply go to an ATT store if possible and have them handle everything there. That way you let the experts handle things and nothing will mess up.

3. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

"experts" HAHAHA.....

I agree, go to an AT&T store or call a CSR before activating to make sure you have the right plan. Get a name, and write down EVERYTHING that you two talk about to CYA.

4. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

On June 7, I called up my contacts at the local AT&T store and they confirmed that the option to choose the old $30 iPhone 3G data plan was no longer listed in their system when trying to activate a smartphone.

However, I posted a theoretical workaround on another thread in this forum if you still want to be "grandfathered" into the old unlimited plan. This article on The Consumerist shows that a user can go from an unlimited EDGE plan to the defunct unlimited 3G plan (see the second update). Particularly, this image confirmed that the plan still exists somewhere in the system for those eligible individuals.

5. hryan4740 macrumors regular

hryan4740

I was worried about this too, as I'll be upgrading from the original 2G iPhone. I actually went to the Apple website yesterday and went through about half the upgrade process as if I were going to buy a 3Gs and the grandfathered unlimited was one of the choices.

6. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=18004&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=30863&mapcode=consumer|Wireless

7. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I did the same thing and i had the unlimited 30.00 option. I also called and verified with att. I would prefer to have something more spicific, in writing, but it looks like thats not happening.

8. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2