Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

araczek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Tinton Falls NJ
Hi all-

THis has probably been asked but I don't have a lot of time to browse. I will be switching to Apple from ATT Next and I live on the East Coast. Have been reading as everyone else on supply issues. So, does it make sense to get up at 3am and do the order? Or would it be fine if I got up at 4 or 5? I don't sleep well as it is and I know how I will feel all day Friday when I get up. I KNOW I won't get back to sleep. It's my issue but just trying to get a consensus.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Hi all-

THis has probably been asked but I don't have a lot of time to browse. I will be switching to Apple from ATT Next and I live on the East Coast. Have been reading as everyone else on supply issues. So, does it make sense to get up at 3am and do the order? Or would it be fine if I got up at 4 or 5? I don't sleep well as it is and I know how I will feel all day Friday when I get up. I KNOW I won't get back to sleep. It's my issue but just trying to get a consensus.
If you're ready to wake up at 3am and wait in line 5 hours before door opens, why don't you just pre-order at 3am

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Just stay up and place your order, although I find it hard to understand why anyone would want to spend $1K for a 64Gb iPhone X (and that's before you add Apple Care +).

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm on the east coast and will be setting my alarm for 2:45 a.m. I hope to complete the preorder by 3:05 and get another 3 hours of sleep before getting up for work.

exact same boat here. I get up around 2:45am (est) and check the app probably every 30 seconds in case it starts early (it has in the past). Starting at 3:00am, I constantly open and kill the app until I see the store. I do not think I have ever struggled to get an order in by 3:05am est since the apple store app launched.

LiemTa

Suspended
Jun 2, 2014
OP, you can wake up whenever you like. You will be able to preorder anytime when you wake up. That is, if you don’t mind getting your phone in 2018.

Reactions: JulesJam

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
So, does it make sense to get up at 3am and do the order?
I would get up at 2:30am and make sure your ready to order by 3am.

Or would it be fine if I got up at 4 or 5?
I seriously doubt you will get one on launch day if you aren't ordering within the first 1/2 hour.
[doublepost=1508873275][/doublepost]
I don't sleep well as it is and I know how I will feel all day Friday when I get up. I KNOW I won't get back to sleep. It's my issue but just trying to get a consensus.
I would take a personal day on Friday to have the day off from work.

brian3uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2016
Definitely get up before 3. Have your payment info ready and refresh for your life starting at 2:57. If you have an Apple product with the Apple Store app, try that instead of using the website. It loads faster and sometimes becomes available first.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The truth is, no one really knows how quickly or to what extent the X will be back ordered.

The only thing that anyone can state as fact is that the closer to 3am you place your order the sooner you're likely to get your phone. Only you can decide what to do with that information.

Reactions: Jimpilot

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Hi all-

Well I would get up by 2:30-2:40 and be ready with your computer and Apple Device running the Apple store app. If you wait till 4 or 5 you will not get your phone on launch day or even in November.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
In MA, I get up at three with every launch and still don't get in for the launch date delivery. Fingers crossed.

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
I took the day off. I haven't decided if I'm going to try to stay up or set my alarm. Regardless I'm going to bed afterwards.

Reactions: Diorama

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Hi all-

You'll need to get a confirmation in within the first 3 min or your late Q2 2018. :apple:
[doublepost=1508892961][/doublepost]
Well I would get up by 2:30-2:40 and be ready with your computer and Apple Device running the Apple store app. If you wait till 4 or 5 you will not get your phone on launch day or even in November.

Not a chance. You'll need to get a confirmation in within the first 3 min or your late Q2 2018. :apple:

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL
I’m on east coast too. My plan for Friday is to hit a haunted house to pass some time and then stay up until pre orders happen. I always just stay up then pass out after I place my order.

Reactions: SHKLMRE and matty.p

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
You all are underestimating the ability of Tim Cook to deliver. The man is called a "supply chain genius" for a reason, I expect that Apple will be able to ship FAR more units than anyone expects. So you can probably wake up around 7am eastern, cook breakfast, read the newspaper, sit down to order the iPhone X, and still get a delivery on launch day.

lotsalag

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2017
You all are underestimating the ability of Tim Cook to deliver. The man is called a "supply chain genius" for a reason, I expect that Apple will be able to ship FAR more units than anyone expects. So you can probably wake up around 7am eastern, cook breakfast, read the newspaper, sit down to order the iPhone X, and still get a delivery on launch day.

Exactly right. OP, there's no need to worry. Feel free to wait until October 29 to order. You'll be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.