Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
So I have an ATT Family plan with grandfathered unlimited data. Went to upgrade both phones that are eligible for $299 32GB iPhone 4S this morning on apple.com. But when I added the 2nd phone and went to checkout it told me I had two many phones in my order and needed to "save" one of them. So I saved one, completed the checkout and then went back in and checked-out the 2nd one. Got the two order confirmations from Apple, so everything appeared to go through fine.

What gives? Why did Apple not let me process the two phones together?

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Same happened to me. Just did 2 orders, and it worked out fine. I think since you needed to put in the phone number of the phone you are upgrading you have to do them one at a time.

InTheAir

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I had the same problem--I just split it into two transactions.

Get the phones in hand, then you can work with AT&T if there are any account issues.

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
I had the same problem--I just split it into two transactions.

Get the phones in hand, then you can work with AT&T if there are any account issues.

Yeah that was my reasoning. My only worry was that there was some limit per household (Like they did with iPad 2) and they'll cancel on of the orders.

mschoonmaker

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Colonel, I have the identical issue that you had. While I'd like to move forward with your seeming solution, I'd like to know if the second time you went through, if they stated the plan cost for that phone as well. Anything at all that confirms you're gonna get charged for only one (family) plan? I also noted when I went through it, it seemed to drop the TEXT plan charges off, which of course (same as you) I don't want ANYTHING changed other than the phones!!!

thanks in advance,
Mike

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
Colonel, I have the identical issue that you had. While I'd like to move forward with your seeming solution, I'd like to know if the second time you went through, if they stated the plan cost for that phone as well. Anything at all that confirms you're gonna get charged for only one (family) plan? I also noted when I went through it, it seemed to drop the TEXT plan charges off, which of course (same as you) I don't want ANYTHING changed other than the phones!!!

thanks in advance,
Mike

Well, both times through it told be that the Voice plan was $50 and the data plan was $30. The 2nd time through they were wrong as the Voice for my wife is only $9.99 as its part of the Family plan ($50+$9.99 = $69.99). However I continued through and when I got to complete the order the Order summary said "Voice Plan: No Changes". So I suspect that Apples Voice plan display when dealing with Family plans is subtly off. Both my order and my wifes phone order have confirmed NO Voice Plan changes and grandfathered $30 data unlimited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.