Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Details:

- This will be a regular consumer plan, non business. And will not have exchange syncing.

- I will be syncing via itunes on my home pc.

- All of my contacts are located on my work pc in M$ outlook.

How do I go about getting all of these contacts onto my iPhone?

I have about 30 days till I get my phone. But wanted to start the prep work early in case I need to jump through a bunch of hoops in order to make this work.

Thanks!!!

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Easiest way I was told was to install ActiveSync and sync your contacts that way. One time thing unless you constantly update your contacts in Outlook.

BL.

Barbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Easiest way I was told was to install ActiveSync and sync your contacts that way. One time thing unless you constantly update your contacts in Outlook.

BL.

Thanks BL. Got a link? Is there a one time charge for this or monthly charge?

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
While I haven't attempted such a transfer of contacts I would try something like this:
First 3 steps from Outlook help file
1)Open the contact you want to save as a vCard.
2)On the File menu, click Export to vCard file. (I couldn't do this in my office outlook, but clicking save as... and choosing .vcf seems to work. <tries hard not to comment about microsoft> :rolleyes:
3)Type a name in the File name box, and then click Save.

Repeat steps 1 to 3 as needed, or try multiple contacts in one .vcf file... who knows it could work!

On the mac side
4) Save the .vcf file(s) to your Mac.
5) Open Address book, and select import from the file menu.

I'd give those steps a test and see if the import works.

jlwillia

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
I know it sucks, but...

Why don't you do it the old fashioned way? Get a piece of paper and pencil and go about writing them all down and when you get the phone, enter them all onto it.

Before you say it's a ridiculous idea, think about the hassle (and potentially, the cost) of doing it the other ways that will be suggested.

Also, this is the best way to get rid of old contacts that you never use or need anymore. Trust me, nothing makes you question whether or not you really need some of those numbers and email addresses than having to write them all down and manually put them into a new phone.

This may be old school, but it's cheap, effective, and will make you clean out some old contacts! Also, you said you have like 30 days! This will take a few hours, but it sounds like you were preparing to spend much more time doing this.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think I am understanding you correctly, help me if I am wrong. Your contacts are on your work computer, but you will be syncing your iPhone with your home computer?

If this is the case it is pretty easy as long as you can get your work contacts onto your home computer. You can export all your work contacts to a CSV file and take the CSV home. Then in your home version of outlook import the CSV file into your personal version of outlook.

Then you can sync to your hearts desire with outlook.

Be.Jammmin

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2008
You can export your contact list at work as a .CSV file then either email to your Home PC or put on a USB drive. You can then import them into Windows Address Book, which can be sync'd with itunes.

B

edit...Looks like abiYng beat me to it.

Barbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
You can then import them into Windows Address Book, which can be sync'd with itunes.

Great. Thanks guys. I just cleaned up my contacts on my work PC and then created a csv file and sent it to my home pc. I'll import them into my outlook at home where my itunes is on.

Whats the step I need to do to link up outlook on my home pc to itunes?

Thanks!

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Whats the step I need to do to link up outlook on my home pc to itunes?

I don't think you have to do anything. In iTunes, with the phone connected, there will be a tab for syncing contacts and calendars, etc. (I think it may be called Information, I can't remember off the top of my head). Just check the box to sync contacts and it might ask you to tell it which program with another check box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.