Prepaid 3G/4G plan for US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waliu, Aug 8, 2011.

1. waliu macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I will spend almost a month in the US and have an unlocked iphone 4. So I need a prepaid plan with lots of data available - 100-200 MB is not an option.

Here are the options that I found on the internet:

1) Simple Mobile - $50 - unlimited nationwide talk, text and 2G web
    Well, yes, they also offer speeds up to 4G for $60, but their support told me, that they don't support iphone 4, so i will be able to use only 2G.
    http://www.mysimplemobile.com/Simple-Mobile-Plan.aspx

2) AT&T GoPhone - $50 + $25 - unlimited nationwide talk and text for $50/30 days, or $2/day; 500MB for $25.
    I'm not sure if 500MB is enough for me though .... I definitely prefer "unlimited" data plan.
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...ans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp?_requestid=64530

3) T-Mobile Monthly4G - $70 - unlimited nationwide talk, text and 5GB high speed data, then 2G speed. For $50 you get 100MB high speed data, then 2G speed.
    The big question here is - can I use the 4G network with my german unlocked iphone 4?

And here is my rating:
    Option 2) is not suitable for me, because I need a lot of data! Even if the 500MB were enough for me, the plan costs $75/month, maybe $100/month for 1GB.
    Option 3) is obviously better than option 1) - the same price, but at least the first 100MB are 4G. And if I want to - I can spend $20 more to have whole 5GB 4G traffic. So, I tend to the $70 prepaid plan from t-mobile. Could anyone tell me for sure, that they have 4G support for iPhones, especially iPhone-4?

And, of course, are there any other options for prepaid plans?

Thanks for any help!

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

No carrier has 4G support for the iPhone since the iPhone itself does not support 4G connections.

Also, if you got with T-Mobile, you will be stuck on 2G speeds because the radios in the iPhone 4 are not set up for T-Mobile's high speed network.

3. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Yeah as far as I know AT&T is the only carrier that you will be able to get 3G speeds with in the US.

Sucks I know. PAYG SIMs are a lot more popular and cheaper overseas, it just hasn't caught on over here as everyone still signs up for contracts.

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Don't even bother researching any further. ATT is your only option for 3g speeds.

As others have said the iPhone does not support 4g so that is not an option.