Prepaid card for Apple Pay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ViperDesign, Dec 17, 2014.

1. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I would like to use a prepaid card for apple pay, can anyone tell me which ones work with it?

Thanks

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

3. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

AMEX Serve is not supported. TD is not supported. Many of the cards you have are not supported

4. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Sucks! I would love to use my AMEX serve card along with my other cards, oh well.

5. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

I know that was the first card I attempted to add. Because Serve is so ahead of the game. It's the best prepaid card out there and almost, if not better than a bank.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It makes sense that many/most prepaids are out of play. Who is supposed to front the bill?

7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Prepaid card for Apple Pay

I tried to also and automatically got the rejected. My other two cards work fine. Apple and AMEX should really consider adding it back.

8. ViperDesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

that was the nice thing about using google wallet, the ability to use prepay cards.

I am on a budget and would like to put money on the card so I can use it during the month either with my phone or card.

9. Sosab123 macrumors member

10. ViperDesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Interesting. Only thing I don't like is the 4.50 a month fee :( But with it being the only prepaid card be allowed, it is the only option

11. tkingsley macrumors newbie

Awesome! Been using Apple Pay a lot lately and loving it :cool:

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If this is too private a question, I respsect that, but is there a reason you aren't willing to go with a supported debit card?

13. ViperDesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I have a set limit I can spend on myself, wife and I are using a cash system. I hate carrying cash so I like having my spending money in a prepaid card I can use. I love using my phone when I can, but like having a backup card if needed.

----------

I should add I went to Chase and signed up for the card and added it tonight to Apple Pay. It worked.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wouldn't it be easier and less expensive (no monthly fees) to open a dedicated account with a supported debit card solely for the spending money? After all, you can't spend money you don't have with a debit card anyway.

15. ViperDesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Yeah losing 4 bucks a month is annoying but I just like prepaid. I usually use my google wallet card but that isn't support on apple pay

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

That's exactly where I was going with my questions. :)

17. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I would open a separate bank account to use for the card. Some of the Credit Unions that already have Apps will also use Apple Pay. Get one that has free banking.

18. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

This is actually pretty difficult to do at many banks. They REALLY want you to have "courtesy overdraft protection" that comes with fees and interest every time you go negative. They'd like you to think this is better than a purchase being declined.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Pretty difficult to do? I can easily toggle options on that on my bank's website and I'm pretty sure there's an overdraft protection law that requires customers to opt-in to such coverage.

20. ViperDesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Anyways thanks for the help fellas. To me the ease of use of just getting a prepaid card is appealing. I have enough bank accounts where I don't want to go make another one.

This is easy, use the money, fill it back up. Very simple :)

21. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

There is no law that requires you to opt-in to overdraft protection. There may be a law that it has to be offered, but you do not have to Opt-in.

Most Credit Unions are your best bet for stuff like this there are very customer friendly and very willing to help out.

if you insist on the pre-paid card try BlueBird, will not help you with the Applepay thing, but it is free to load money onto it.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Unless it's wrong information, that's not what I've read. See http://www.federalreserve.gov/consumerinfo/wyntk_overdraft.htm

"In the past, some banks automatically enrolled you in their standard overdraft practices for all types of transactions when you opened an account. Under the new rules, your bank must first get your permission to apply its standard overdraft practices to everyday debit card and ATM transactions before you can be charged overdraft fees. To grant this permission, you will need to respond to the notice and opt in (agree)."

23. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

All I said is they REALLY want you to have it. In the past there were accounts that could not be had without it. Now, as you state, it it optional. The problem was and is that customers don't understand all of the things they are being told when they open an account. They may have it and not even remember agreeing to it. Those clever salespeople. I think they get by reversing fees when asked to do so. Fees that customers tend to not understand, either.

I have family members who work at chain banks. The practices are quite familiar to me. Just beware. And, yes, credit unions are typically the way to go.

24. ihonda macrumors 68000

odd.. my chase business cards all work

25. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I think we are saying the same thing.

You do not have to take overdraft protection unless you want it.