Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oström

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Hi, I'm visiting LA this may and I've some questions about the costs of prepaid dataplans to use in my 3G iPad, we got prepaid data for 1 day (1GB: 4 dollar, 1 week 3GB: 10 dollar or 1 month 5GB: 25 dollar)in Sweden, does something similar exist in the us ? What prices is to expect and where to buy it ? Thanks :)

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Hi, I'm visiting LA this may and I've some questions about the costs of prepaid dataplans to use in my 3G iPad, we got prepaid data for 1 day (1GB: 4 dollar, 1 week 3GB: 10 dollar or 1 month 5GB: 25 dollar)in Sweden, does something similar exist in the us ? What prices is to expect and where to buy it ? Thanks :)

Nothing like TELE2/Telia/3 prepaid really exists in the US. At least, not anything where you can walk into a store, scratch the number off a card and enter it into the phone via SMS for immediate usage.

There may be some 3G hotspots (think T-Mobile, where you can get a day pass.)

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I was going to post a similar thread in the next couple of weeks. Visiting Florida instead of LA though!

Would a AT&T GoPhone plan work just fine? It seems a bit steep, anything up to $25 and you are paying 1c/5kb, but if you go for the $50 option you get "unlimited" data.

That's assuming AT&T allow you to put that in an iPad...

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I was going to post a similar thread in the next couple of weeks. Visiting Florida instead of LA though!

Would a AT&T GoPhone plan work just fine? It seems a bit steep, anything up to $25 and you are paying 1c/5kb, but if you go for the $50 option you get "unlimited" data.

That's assuming AT&T allow you to put that in an iPad...

You should also check the roaming costs on your standard SIM.

I have a German prepaid and it's only 0.49€/MB roaming, which is cheap enough to check emails/look things up and not worry about getting a foreign SIM prepaid card. Plus, I can just pop it out of the phone and into the iPad.

However, that's on vacation. If you're staying long term (more than a month), I'd look into other options (GoPhone, etc...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.