Prepaid iPhone 3GS worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OmegaRace, Oct 6, 2011.

1. OmegaRace macrumors newbie

Now that the prepaid iPhone 3GS has dropped (supposedly) in price to $375, is it worth buying? I understand it's not usable outside of the USA, and I do travel from time to time. Still, my Windows phone is unbearable on a daily basis-- I have to switch ASAP. You cannot believe how horrible Windows Mobile 6 is, with its pen-based input. (BTW no, I don't want to do a contract and pay $70 per month for an iPhone 4.)

2. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You'd miss out on the "World Phone" aspect of iPhone 4S. If you travel, it might well be worth it.

I'm waiting to see if iPhone comes to Virgin Mobile or not. I can't justify $80 a month when I rarely use 200 minutes. I'd really like the 4S but it might be that only the 4 makes it to VM initially. I'm not sure that I would want to buy the 3GS since it's fairly old tech.

4. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Not supposedly, it is $375 right now.

Its also unlocked and usable on any GSM network world wide. Just pop in the local sim and off you go.

Here is the link from the Apple store:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC637?mco=MjU5MjAxMjg

5. OmegaRace thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, apparently I have been misinformed then by Apple store employees about the 3GS prepaid at least twice.

One person said it was dual band (not worldwide), another said it was AT&T-only.

Who at Apple corporate is in charge of making sure that Apple store employees know the facts, anyway?

A third employee completely made stuff up about the iPhone 3GS and I had to call her on the carpet.

6. Kendo macrumors 68000

3GS is too slow in my opinion. It is like using a computer that was purchased in the Windows XP era, and putting Windows 7 on it.

In other words, it may function but it isn't smooth. There is some slight lag in areas such as scrolling a website or playing a game.

I have had the 3GS for two years and cannot wait to upgrade to the new A5 chip. My friend owns an iPhone 4 and even now he says he can feel some slight lag in some areas. As iOS gets more advanced, the requirements for power will increase.