prepaid iPhone...is t still possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MatrixPrime, Sep 18, 2007.

1. MatrixPrime macrumors regular

Does the prepaid activation trick of entering the "9's" as your SSN still work to have a prepaid iphone?

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

3. MatrixPrime thread starter macrumors regular

has anyone done it more recently, like within the last few days?

4. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

I have and it works just fine. A bit scary clicking "Agree" through those two-year agreements, but in the end it showed me the Pick-a-Plan option link and everything was fine.

5. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

This is funny because I thought the exact same thing when I did the 999-99-9999 deal a few weeks ago.

6. daysleeper macrumors member

7. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

8. daysleeper macrumors member

Because people here usually know more than a rep, and I don't want to spend the next 30-60 minutes on the phone with AT&T.

Go troll somewhere else.

9. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

10. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

frankly speaking I was surprised when purchased an iPhone put my Cingulair PAYG card run Independence 1.2.1 and it just worked. EDGE, You Tube..everything. But its not cheap. You have to get an airtime for at least 20$ a month. I use it cos I move around a lot and it doesnt bother me at all. But yes it works.

11. one1 macrumors 65816

Have you noticed any weird charges using pre paid service or any limitations to data that are unforseen? I am about to go prepaid and need to know if there are any surprises.

How long have you been prepaid?

12. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Nope, been typical of the prepaid system. I rarely use the phone and since i have an SMS plan the only time I get the amount remaining pop-up is after making a call. When you set up the plan and set up the funding it lets you pick the date you want to be charged and tells you how much they'll be charging every month and as far as the data limitations there are none and it states that the $19.99 add-on is for unlimited data.

You are getting everything that contract phones are getting just your minutes cost more and you have to deal with a pop-up after using the phone or sending an SMS if you don't have an SMS plan. For a guy like me who rarely actually uses the phone and isn't a big fan of multi-year contracts to cell phone companies it is perfect, of the 200 minutes a month I'll use maybe 100 and the rest will roll-over (for three months) the pop-up screen is worth the hassle.

13. one1 macrumors 65816

what is your total cost monthly with taxes? $60 for all? i never use the phone i just want email and internet on the go. i don't even text.

how much per minute btw?

14. randy55 macrumors newbie

I went the prepaid route yesterday. Went with the lowest cost plan at $49.99 with $5.64 in taxes and fees. As far as I can tell I was not charged the $36 setup fee.

Enjoy!

15. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

I have the same plan as cyclingplatypus, and with taxes and everything, it's $60 and some cents. They didn't charge me the activation fee either, surprisingly. It's 200 minutes for the $29.99 phone portion of the cost, so do the math, hehe. But I would not be likely to use the 450 minutes on the contract plan anyway. Oh I think on the lowest prepaid plan there's no night or weekend minutes either. Again, not likely to use those myself. I think the next step up on the plans has that though, for 10 bucks more.

Edit: I did the math, and with the 200 minutes for $30 prepaid, it's about 15 cents a minute, versus the 450 minutes for $40 on contract at about 9 cents per minute. So big whoop.

16. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

On the 39.99 prepaid here. No activation fee was charged. Mine hasnt rebilled yet, but my initial 1st month charge was $61 and change. (39.99 + 20)

17. BigCanoe macrumors 6502

So you can but a pre-paid plan, legit with the iPhone through AT&T, or are these hacked phones?

18. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Mine isn't unlocked, I activated the same way that contract customers do through iTunes. The only thing that is different is when you choose a prepaid plan you no longer get the option to port your number...small price to pay for not being tied to a contract.

19. powderblue17 macrumors regular

I see that someone said he was able to get his Verizon # ported over to his pre-paid account. I was under the impression that if you went with pre-paid that you had to get a new # and couldn't port. Is this something you have to call AT&T about and they will do for you?

20. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I didn't receive the option of porting and IIRC the set-up even says that you can't port because it was the prepaid, I'm sure one could probably call and try to have at&t port over a number but I didn't have any problem with changing numbers.

21. CrockettGTO macrumors regular

THIS does NOT work any more just tried it all nines, all ones, all zeros at least in iTunes 7.5-0.20

22. iPhoneFreaky macrumors newbie

MatrixPrime you do not have to do the 9's trick any longer to activate the iPhone as a prepaid phone. I just called AT&T and they say that yes you are allowed to use the iPhone as a prepaid phone, as long as you do the Pick-Your-Plan option. A prepaid pay as you go phone is not available for the iPhone. (Please correct me if im wrong. ^_^)

I am in the process of buying an iPhone on the cheapest iPhone prepaid plan there is. The only problem is that i don't know if you can schedule your 29.99+20.00 fee to charge your credit card every THREE months. Help?

23. TravisGood macrumors newbie

Update on Prepaid Plan Options for iPhone

As we approach the likely date of the 3G network and SDK launches at WWDC I'm wondering ...

Is there still a way to get iPhone activation through AT&T using prepaid?
    If so then is there a prepaid voice but unlimited data combination option?

I hate the idea of committing to AT&T for two years at a flat rate.

All I really want the iPhone for is data on the 3G network.

Can anyone help? Travis