Prepaid Iphone question :)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tmarie715, Apr 12, 2009.

1. tmarie715 macrumors newbie

Boy, am I glad I finally joined the forum to get a straight answer instead of asking a bunch of other people who kinda sorta know what they're doing. :)

Anyway, about three months ago I got a really cheap iphone off of craigslist that had a cracked screen. At that point I wanted to see if I would end up liking it better than my Verizon service. Well, I do...so I'm going to cancel verizon. Actually, the other two on the family plan went out and got their iphones and they're about to cancel the plan. So now I have to figure out how to make this work for me. lol.

I did the prepaid thing with the 2G iphone. (I have 118 dollars credit on my pick your plan acct, so I wil like to keep the acct) However, it is so damaged that I won't be able to make calls (that's what I did with my verizon phone, so it wasn't much of a problem before).

My main question: Can I buy a used (Craigslist it) 3G and pop my sim card and have everything work seamlessly? Or will I have to search high and low for a 2G? (just cant seem to find a used one in my area)

2. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

obviously visual voicemail wont work, but otherwise i dont see why not. just dont think this is a long term solution because eventually att will start policing data plans.

3. tmarie715 thread starter macrumors newbie

How soon do you think it will go to their attention?

I'm just trying to find an okay solution to keep awesome features with the iphone without losing the 118 I have in the acct to go with the prepaid plan.

4. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

well there was a report last week about att policing plans in texas as a test run. i was reading on another forums that eventually it will become official policy and will be enforced.

obviously until it becomes a reality you can use the prepaid sim.

5. tmarie715 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well when I went to ATT yesterday, they said that it was legal to have the 2G as pick your plan.

So, would it be more cost effective for me to find a used 2G that works? Instead of going out and getting a 3G phone that may be worthless shortly after?

6. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

buy a gevey turbo sim and a cheap cheap tmobile phone wih sim.. (for 20 bucks I got a tmobile phone, sim and $25 dollar prepaid card for free.)

It will work right away but i recommend switching it to the sidekick plan on tmobile website which cost $1 dollar a day and .15 cents a minute with unlimted txt and internet (for me the internet works (edge only) but many people say it doesnt for them but it works flawlessly for me.. I get about 200Kb a sec internet speed.

7. tmarie715 thread starter macrumors newbie

We don't have Tmobile here, so would the service work?

Also, I would like to try and stay with ATT since they have 118 dollars credit on my pick your plan iphone.

8. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

were do you live that you don't have tmobile....and what are you talking about 118 dollars credit... wern't you using verizon..