Prepaid iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dimi94941, Aug 13, 2011.

1. dimi94941 macrumors regular

Hello, I just came to study in US from Europe. I bough a factory unlocked iPhone in Europe so I won't take the plan at AT&T or anything, all I need is an US number. I have been searching through Google but they have complicated prepaid plans, I haven't realized there are also plans for prepaid SIM's. I just want a US number and fill it with like $5 card, you know, pay as I go. You know where I can get that?

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You can just sign up for an AT&T pay as you go plan. They will probably upgrade you to iPhone data plan eventually though. You can try t-mobile but their will be no 3G.

3. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

I'm using an iPhone 3GS on go phone right now, works great. Just pop in the sim. You may or may not have to unlock.

4. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

And how do you pay that? Do you buy cards and fill the phone with let's say $5? Or do you have to go to AT&T so they can fill you up?

5. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

For the GoPhone (AT&T's prepaid options), you can add money online, over the telephone using a Credit Card, or by using a pre-paid card (sold pretty much everywhere).

6. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Yep, I just call 611 and they can add money via my my credit card or add features like data or messaging through the money I put in there.

7. snowman1 macrumors regular

Actually, AT&T won't upgrade you to a data plan at all. They usually leave the pay as you go customers alone. I've used my iPhone 4 (LOCKED) on a pay as you go plan for more than 6 months. No problems with data at all. :)

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    The mandatory iPhone data is for post paid accounts.
    Prepaid you don't have to.

9. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

True