Carrier Prepaid on ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spoa94, Jun 25, 2016.

1. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Hello forums I am looking for someone with experience using an iPhone on ATT's prepaid network/plan. I am currently on a family plan sharing 20 GB and this is starting to be too little for us. We pay only $120/month because of a corporate discount as well as the fact that we have been a customer for over 15 years.

A couple years ago we were on a 10 GB plan but I called the retentions department and complained that TMO had a similarly priced plan for 20 GB and we were updated to 20 GB on the spot for free. So I love that! I tried to do the same thing today since I noticed I could go to TMO and get 30 GB for $120. So... Long story short I was not offered a deal I am happy with BUT I was offered an Unlimited Plan for each line PREPAID for $40/month/each. Pretty good deal in my mind we are essentially going from 20GB to Unlimited for no price change. The only stipulation the rep gave me was that we could not use ATT Next, which I don't care about because we normally buy our phones outright.

Additionally I was promised that if down the road if we hate the prepaid plan we can go back to our 20GB for $120 anytime we want.

Can anyone give me some insight on the prepaid plans form ATT. This deal sounds too good to be true. Thank you in advance for the advice!

2. Freakonomics101 macrumors 6502a

Freakonomics101

AT&T's prepaid brand GoPhone does not offer a truly unlimited data plan.

3. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Well yes but technically neither does the regular wireless unlimited plan.

4. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Is this the Prepaid plan you're referring to? https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/gophone-plans.html

It says:
    Then at the bottom of the page:
    If this is what they offered you, then I would be extremely hesitant to switch unless you're OK with it slowing down after 6GB.

5. Freakonomics101 macrumors 6502a

Freakonomics101

Very true. But you know what I mean. on GoPhone, after the high speed data is used up, speeds are throttled to 128 Kbps. On the AT&T unlimited plan, I believe speeds are only slowed down if you're in a congested area. Then speeds are slowed down to around 0.5 Mbps.

6. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

This is not the exact plan I am referring to. The plan I was offered is not publicly advertised. It was offered to me as a loyal customer and it is also a plan some ATT employees are on. Just like when they bumped me up to a 20GB plan from 10GB, the plan was not publicly available.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 25, 2016 ---
    Yeah I know exactly what you meant. I should call back and see what the high speed limit is. Because this plan is not publicly advertised the high speed limit may be higher than usual.

7. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Gotcha. I assumed that would be the case but I wasn't entirely sure. I'm curious what the high speed data allowance is on the one they offered you.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It sounds to me like your real question is whether anyone with this exact plan offered to you can chime in?

I mean, I've used a go phone plan, and it was fine, but it was nothing like what they've offered you.

Just reading your explanation it sounds like you have nothing to lose participatory if you were told you can go back to the old plan any time you want.

I wish I had known or had been offered this plan before we left ATT after ten years lol. If have zero reservations paying $40 a line prepaid for unlimited.

9. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

If you ask me, it's a too good to be true plan, but then again I don't know anyone who has that plan.

Plus moving from postpaid to prepaid, I believe the network will not prioritize your data speeds anymore as mentioned above.

If retentions offered it, why not give it a shot? Keep us posted.

10. Yardman1977 macrumors member

The 20 for 10 was a double data deal never advertised and was only added by retentions for 1 week. if you called and asked for it. If you switch plans then most reteentions agents wont be able to get yor old plan back for you. If you get lucky then you may get one that can. But only if its been within 60 days of you giving it up. And im sure the prepaid plan unlimited is only 6 gigs lte. Then you will crawl after that....some agents promise you the world but when they switch you and you start reading the fine print then You will find out the real deal.i think you will lose your roaming on prepaid too