Prepaid Phone Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DiamondMac, Jan 11, 2010.

1. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I am about to venture into buying a small, prepaid phone from Walmart or somewhere just for a few weeks

Question is, if I buy 30 minutes (just making that up)....what happens when I hit 31?

Is there extra charges or does the phone go dead and blow up? :D

I am sure it differs plan-to-plan but figured every company may do one exact thing when minutes are used?

2. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Once your minutes are up, you can't make anymore calls until you add more minutes. If you run out of minutes during the call, you get cut off mid-conversation. About a month after you minutes expire and you don't add any more, the number gets canceled.

3. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yep, expect to get cut off......some companies do offer you an option to automatically buy more credit when you run out so you might look for that.

5. Queso macrumors G4

That's a bit crap. Here in Europe you get to keep the number for 18 months or the like. Handy for those of us with multiple SIM cards for travelling around the EU.

Though saying that, I suppose with the USA being one country you're not going to get that problem are you :eek:

6. AngryApple macrumors 6502

I use T-Mobile prepaid. It's really nice, for me. I buy 1000 minutes at $100 per year. I usually use up most of it. I use the very basic T-Mobile plan. None of the pay $3 for unlimited text messages a day. No extra fees, or anything. If your phone breaks, you can always just buy a new one and insert your previous SIM card to keep the same number and transfer minutes (I did that today!) So, yeah. I highly recommend it if you're in a big city, or somewhere near the city. Very rural areas like mine get horrid service.