Prepaid sim for unlocked iPhone while on holiday

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redrox5, Apr 4, 2009.

1. redrox5 macrumors member

I'm going on holiday to the UK for just a week and then Paris for a few days. I'd like to get prepaid sims for both countries that include data. While looking around, I've seen some places allow me to buy pay as I go sim plans. I'm not sure though if I'll need to wait until I get there because it doesn't seem to let a US address buy them/sign up. What is the best option for me as I don't wish to pay AT&T's outrageous data rates. Even the World Traveler plan is pitiful when compared to some of the local sim data rates.

Thanks!

2. redrox5 thread starter macrumors member

Would this sim work with the iPhone? I can't seem to figure out if the "free unlimited mobile web" would work with the iPhone. If anyone from across the pond could help me through this I'd really be appreciative.

3. koollectablz macrumors 6502

That should work, though it doesn't look like its 3g.

When you get to the UK you'll find you can buy PAYG SIMs from just about anywhere, then you can top up say a tenner or so and then call the carrier to add a data plan to the number, O2 call them bolt ons, others call them different things but they all do them. Both O2 and T-mobile do them with unlimited texts and various rewards.

They all advertise various caps to data usage, but I've been using a '3' 3g sim in a netbook dongle for months and never had any trouble - and I use gigs and gigs a month.

Have a nice trip - if you're coming to the UK the lake district is spectacular this time of year.

4. sallythemac Guest

O2 Pay AS You GO SIMs are free. £10 top-up would get you 50 minutes to call back to the USA (plus you keep the top-up credit) on the Your Country tariff, and another £10 would get you unlimited data and wifi for 28 days. Plus o2 actually support the iPhone, so if there shouldn't be any unexpected compatibility or setting issues. See this article of how to change the internet settings for o2 PAYG.

5. redrox5 thread starter macrumors member

This looks the way to go. I would assume since O2 launched the original iPhone as well that it would work with that? I'm using an original iPhone (unlocked) for travel while I leave my 3G 3.0b2 at home for development use. I figured out that there is a Carphone Warehouse store literally right across the street from my hotel and was wondering if that'd be the best place to get it? Also, one last question. If I was on that PAYG plan and then traveled to Paris for a few days, would the rates increase to a point where I'd blow through my remaining minutes in like a minute or two? Thanks.

6. sallythemac Guest

O2 have always been the UK's exclusive iPhone carrier so yes, they support the 2G as well as the 3G.

Yes you can get one for free from CPW or an O2 store, they are free from either. You can even order 4 for free off O2's website (need to be sent to a UK address and can take up to 28 days).

Using a UK SIM in France will also incur roaming charges, so best to look at a local PAYG SIM for there. The charges would be ridiculous to use a UK SIM. Somewhere in the region of £2 per minute to call back to the US, about £1.20 back to the UK.

7. redrox5 thread starter macrumors member

I'd just like to say thanks again to Sallythemac. VERY HELPFUL! Now....One last question. Anyone from France here? I'm looking around online and just can't find any French PAYG sims. I thought Orange was the provider for the iPhone in France? All my attempts at searching so far have been futile :mad:. Any help on that front would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

8. pendolino macrumors member

pendolino

SFR offers iphone specific prepaid plan in france

i did some research today and thought someone could make use of this interesting product from SFR that seems to fit the bill for someone traveling in France for a few weeks.

i am guessing its effectively a regular unlimited data/metered voice SIM card that would work with the right data settings in any phone.

24 euros (highest plan) also gives you 10 euros of calling credit.

scroll to the bottom of this page: http://www.sfr.fr/mobile/offres/sfr-la-carte?vue=0006mr#

here's some more info on the same plan:

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/eur...er-internet-iphone-can-used-other-phones.html
    http://www.abonnementforfait.fr/05052009-sfr-propose-des-cartes-prepayees-pour-liphone-3g.htm

if anyone has experience with this then please chime in.

9. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

bought sfr prepaid sim just now at a random shop called "relay" -- in paris currently. was about 5 euro for sim and 5 euro worth of credit -- total around 10 euro.

wondering about data.

wondering if I have to sumbit identifying info to sfr like the booklet says or "wil be shut down / deactivated in 15 days"