Preparation before 10.5.8 in case of roll back?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tumbleweed666, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I'm going to install the 10.5.8 update as it looks like it will fix a couple of issues I would have had with 10.5.7 that prevented me installing it, which is why I'm still on 10.5.6.

In case it doesn't work and I do experience the issues, I want to be able to rewind back to where I was, 10.5.6

Is it as simple as picking the TM backup prior to the install and clicking 'restore' - should that manage system files as well?

I'll also do a CCC backup to an external disk.

Anything else?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

This won't work.

This will.

3. Tumbleweed666 thread starter macrumors 68000

..OK I need to be enlightened about TM then, can it not be used to 'roll back' all files including system ones? Is it only for user files?

At least 10.5.8 seems to be working OK so far and one of the issues I would have had is definitely fixed now for me (certain makes of USB disks not working), just need to wait see if the mighty mouse random disconnects is fixed as well.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If your system crashes, the Time Machine backup would be restored using your computer's restore disks, so you'd end up with 10.5.0 or 10.5.4 or whatever version it shipped with. You would then have to patch up to the latest version.