Preparation before I update to 4.2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Muscleflex, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

Hello - i'm thinking of updating my nearly 1wk old ipad from 3.2.2 to 4.2.
    with all the problems with battery duration, can anyone please tell me what i need to know and do to prepare for the update in case i want to downgrade back to 3.2.2....

i have heard that i need to back up my SHSH (whatever that means)...

can i just update my ipad and to downgrade, i'll just get the 3.2.2 fw somewhere and run it?

what's with the shsh? do i need to do this now or afterwards?

thanks in advanced!

2. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

SHSH? Don't know about that.

Regarding the update, I had no hitches at all. I don't think I'd ever want to go back either. In case I do, I believe that the older version can be downloaded from the Apple site. I did notice that when I did the update, the 3.2.x files were dumped into the trashcan. I saved them out of it, JIC...

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

There are no battery issues related to updating to 4.2.1, nor is there any "slow-down" attributable to the upgrade. If people are having problems it's due to something else they're doing.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Apple restricts people from downgrading iOS by only signing the most recent firmware version. These signatures are stored in these files called SHSH blobs. Don't ask me why it's called that, I never did figure that out. Anyway, these blobs are unique to each device, so you can't get them from somebody else, and if your device is exchanged for warranty defects, then your old blobs won't work for the "new" device. So since Apple is no longer signing 3.2.2, if you don't have the SHSH saved, you can't downgrade. Period. End of discussion. Ok?

5. Muscleflex thread starter macrumors 6502

haha - yes boss....
    so do i save my shsh?
    i saw an entry online to change my host file ip for apple to something else (would that trick work?)

6. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Honestly just go to 4.2. It's so much better and I've seen no battery or performance issues

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Can't save it for 3.2.2 now, but yes, save it for 4.2.1, it doesn't hurt. Google TinyUmbrella and download it, it's a little program that saves and manages your SHSH for you. It also takes care of the hosts file stuff if and when you want to downgrade.

But 3.2.2 is gone, no amount of king's men and king's horses are going to get that SHSH for you.

8. Muscleflex thread starter macrumors 6502

really? so i can't downgrade to 3.2.2?

ok - i'll update to 4.2 - shall i fully charge my ipad first before the update?

9. jimHdk macrumors regular

Just update and forget about 3.2.2. I had no problems updating and have had no problems with 4.2.1.

10. Muscleflex thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I'll do it tomorrow. No work for me coz of the snow!!! :D
    Hopefully I won't have any trouble with the battery.