Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
UK
I seem to remember seeing a thread about a similar subject before, but can't seem to find it.

I am awaiting delivery of my new 13" MBA, and selling on my old one.

Apart from de-authorising iTunes, and erasing the HD after transferring all my data, are there any other things that I might need to do prior to selling?

What would be the best way to connect my 2010 to the new 2012 to transfer my data?

Thanks.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The 2010 Macbook Air's don't have hard disks, they have solid state drives. Wiping data is a little different due to SSDs functioning completely differently from hard disks. Here's some more info: http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...ay-to-securely-erase-an-ssd-on-my-macbook-air

Best way to move data from your current MBA to your new one is just to ensure your Time Machine backup is up to date. Then when booting the new MBA for the first time point it at the Time Machine backup and it'll migrate all your files and settings and software. If you use a different backup program, you might want to make a time machine backup since it works very well for this purpose. (and if you're not currently doing regular backups, external USB3 hard disks are too cheap not to be backing up your system. SSDs and hard disks *do* fail. I had a disk die on a family member's 2010 MBP with no warning last week; Time Machine saved the day)

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
You can use migration assistant the first time you boot up the new 2012 MBA and copy settings from the old one. Either form the MBA itself or a Time Machine backup saved in a secure location. That is if you havent sold it already and shipped it away.

In regards to the HDD, you should make a ML installer on a USB key and erase the harddrive. Then install ML without entering anything and the new user should be happy when she/he gets it!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.