Preparations to take before jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 1984world, Feb 6, 2012.

1. 1984world macrumors 6502

1984world

Hello,

I have the iphone 4s, black, 64 gb. I would like to jailbreak, really only for a few apps (bitesms, iblacklist, etc.) and would like to know if there are any precautions I need to take in the event that I wish to return to a stock phone.

I just jailbroke my ipod touch 4g, 64 gb, last night, and it took two attempts to jailbreak (first one showed ZERO signs of jailbreak) and several restarts, along with a few install of cydia apps and respringing of springboard to get all my stock apple apps to show up (they disappeared upon first jailbreak).

So I am just wondering what I should specifically do, or if I need to take any precautions.

I am up to date on all software and have done a backup in itunes.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!:):)

2. radge macrumors member

radge

Back-up in iTunes, and go for it. If something goes wrong, restore from the back-up you created previously.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Backup to iTunes, make sure you got your musics, pictures on your computer and your contacts and calendar sync to another location (Mail.app, Google Apps, Exchange, etc).

Thats about it

4. 1984world thread starter macrumors 6502

1984world

So I don't need to use "Tinyumbrella" or back up "SHSH blobs" or anything like that? I've been reading a lot and seeing all kinds of suggestions, and am a bit unclear. Thanks for the responses btw guys. :)

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You are going to do that, yes, but you don;t have/need to do it before jailbreaking (you could if you want to), once you jailbreak and open Cydia for the first time, it will ask you if you want Cydia to keep a copy of your SHSHs and their server will start requesting those for you.

Most of us on the "paranoid" side like to keep local copies so we run TU

6. radge macrumors member

radge

Tinyumbrella is used to back up your blobs AFTER a jailbreak. It's a tool in Cydia. I've personally never used it, but here is a pretty good explanation I found doing a little forum searching.

"Shsh's are files that tinyumbrella can download, but only on a firmware that apple is signing (normally only the latest firmware) and these shsh's can allow you to downgrade to the firmware that you saved the shshs for in the future just in case "

If you need more clarification just ask, like I said I'm not an expert on this topic but there are lots of people who are.

7. maturola, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Sorry but that is not correct, TU is not an App on Cydia, it is an App for your computer, that allow to backup the SHSH locally and also create a Proxy server that will authenticate the firmware pretending to be Apple server. You are also NOT require to be jailbroken to run TU, you can save your SHSH any time, all you need is your phone ID

This thread may help with the terminology and you can get a better understanding of the whole process.

Jailbreak FAQ and commonly use Terminology + Guides

8. radge macrumors member

radge

Wow, I was very misinformed on the process of backing up SHSH blobs and that clears up a lot. Thanks for the lesson. And I will be taking a loot at that thread.

9. Tokes Green macrumors regular

Tokes Green

Definitely worth a read :D

10. 1984world thread starter macrumors 6502

1984world

Thanks for the info guys. Especially that link maturola. :)

Is this jailbreak fairly stable for the 4s? Is the general consensus that it is stable, working, and people are happy?

11. voltes macrumors member

The JB is pretty stable. It's the apps you install that makes it not. Always double check that what you install is compatible with your specific idevice. ;)

12. radge macrumors member

radge

I had read the whole thread before I realized you were the author of it. Well done sir. Thank you for contributing to this community. I learned a lot from it.

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

:D Thank you for your feedback, I try to share and keep everyone on the same track, hacking is fun!!! :cool: