Prepare SSD on Macbook pro to boot on Mac Mini

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by kissmo, Mar 12, 2014.

1. kissmo macrumors 6502a

Hi guys.

I have a macbook pro early 2011 and I will be receiving soon a mac mini 2012.

Since I don't have a monitor with me, I would like to upgrade the HDD in mac mini to an SSD which I already have in my possession.

I know I can connect to mac mini remotely if OS has booted up and it's at the setup screen, however, since I do not have a monitor I would like to prepare the SSD that will go into mini so that it can boot.

My mini will be running as server (that's why I don't have a monitor)

Is there a way to install from the macbook pro on SSD mavericks so that mac mini will be able to boot?

Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just put the new SSD in a USB external enclosure then follow this guide to install OS X to the SSD. It will work fine.

3. kissmo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah so this works then!
    Because there is a comment:
    This procedure installs a version of OS X that is compatible with the Mac it was created with. Using this OS X system with a different Mac model may produce unpredictable results.

Thanks so much!

I wasn't sure if this method is OK.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That would only be an issue if you used Internet recovery and there was a special build OS required for the target machine. That is not the case here, so you will be fine. :)

5. kissmo thread starter macrumors 6502a