Prepare to be disappointed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBX, Feb 23, 2011.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

2. Brettla macrumors regular

Until we see all the specs from the higher models we aren't really going to know what was true and what wasn't. This is supposed to be the lowest model of the 13 inch so there could be some good things in the higher ones.

3. xdbuix macrumors 6502

the ssd standard might be for higherend models. The macbook air look, i think it can possibly happen because if you look carefully at the top view of the picture, it looks like the front wedges down like the air. I could be wrong, but its hard to tell from the top view.

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Steve said all of laptops will be like MBA someday. Obviously, he said someday as like few years down the road. It won't happen with this update.

1. MBP ain't getting gun metal design. If they were, they would call press conference.

2. No optical drive is still too risky for many users. People still watch netflix in Dvds. Why? Who the heck knows.

3. SSD is still too expensive for 256GB storage. Current lowest MBP comes with 250GB storage. Apple cannot go down lower than that with Pro users.

4. Thinner? It's already thin. If they go thinner, they will have to take out some ports starting with ethernet port.

5. eddieaus macrumors regular

i'm already disappointed. i was really expecting the new Pro would be lighter, 13" 1.8kg or less would be ideal. i guess i'm going to buy the new VAIO SB when it's out next month.

6. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

i can, and will argue with only the 4th point, and that is the fact that they *could* make it thinner by thinning the lid if they were to use the new screen construction technology they used on the current MBA.

they could also reduce the radius of the edges to thin the machine overall while keeping a more squared, yet similar edge thickness to still allow room for the ethernet port. there's at least 1/8" they could reduce from the chassis alone and still allow enough clearance for the ethernet port.

other than that, your presumptions are factual. optical discs are still in widespread use, therefore their pro machines should have an optical drive, no exceptions, for now.

in regards to lightpeak/thunderbolt, i find it hilarious that everyone insisted that it was going to be combined with USB based only on intel's tech demo last year when they said they only used it for the proof of concept demo and that the actual port wasnt finalized. http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11964918&postcount=4

sadly, it looks they combined it with the displayport, making one wonder if they'll sell a splitter to allow use as a data port while connected to a display or if we're stuck with "one or the other," or if they'll just include two or more displayports on the larger macbook pros (most likely, i hope). the real suck is that despite it being the lowest end machine, it still doesnt have USB3 ports... therefore making it highly unlikely they'll offer USB3 in any macbook pros this time around, again.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

So it will be .9 inches thick instead of 0.95 inches. Who the heck cares?

Other laptops are so much thicker than 1 inch, and I don't need it to be any thinner. Go buy MBA then.

8. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Since I don't have a MBP, I'd be happy with the new models. So I like what I see.

9. egglybagelface macrumors newbie

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

11. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I still need an optical drive way more than I need a second hard drive or a slightly smaller computer. People would be crazy to just use netflix instant streaming. The content available on their blows *ss. That's the main reason I cancelled the service and now just hit a redbox every now and then. Sure every once in awhile a decent movie shows up but rarely a new release. Not to mention the quality compared to blu ray is terrible.

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I never depend on watching movie from laptop. Optical drive needs to go because it's there whether I need them or not. Apple will never allow blu-ray drive on their products. Also, netflix was just an example. I hate netflix because they raise the price every 6 god damn months.

13. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

your math is off. 1/8" is .125 inch, thus would reduce it to 0.875" and that's before thinning the display.

and who cares? you obviously do. so far you've posted twice about it.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It doesn't matter what apple does or doesn't do. People will complain they didn't go far enough, or they didn't change it the way that person envisioned the changes to be.

They had to move off the C2D platform, since intel stopped producing them. Other then what it will or won't have, only time will tell

15. Davieis macrumors regular

I think there is a slightly new design:

[​IMG]

Thinner, most obviously the upper-lid. Looks similar to the Air.

Dave

16. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Yea I cancelled my service because it got to be too much money for what I was getting out of it. $10ish per month to rent one blu ray wasn't worthwhile for obvious reasons. Before I had blu ray and I was getting dvd's I could make copies of the good movies to re watch later. Now I can rent a new release blu ray, when it comes out, for $1.50 from a redbox the day that I actually want it. I'll bite on your argument that generally when I'm going to watch a movie on my laptop its preplanned for a work trip or whatever and I'll save a copy of the movie instead of bringing the physical disk. If they were to get rid of the optical drive I'd at least like to see them off the macbook air style superdrive for around 40-50 bucks but that'll never happen.

17. wisty macrumors regular

IIRC, C2D to i5 (old) is ~30% faster, C2D to Sandy might be ~50% faster (clock per clock). Memory bandwidth is a big factor. The Pentium 4 was like a 12 lane German free-way, with a goat track leading onto it. C2D was better. Sandy is much better. The processor won't be waiting so long for data that's sitting on the RAM.

Of course, it's not that simple - different benchmarks (which test different types of calculations) may be faster or slower.

The new chips should be a lot more power efficient as well - able to boost or idle much better. And the graphics is on chip (ewwwwww), so battery life will be better.

18. theking79 macrumors 6502

lol it looks thinner because that picture is looking up at the laptop, the apple picture is looking from the side, so you see the full height of it.

talk about clutching at straws.

19. thcommj macrumors newbie

Mac Users talk about these technical differences in CPU as if they are going to feel any difference.... I'm buying a Mac for its industrial design when everybody is obviously just copying off Mac (besides Thinkpad, but they're getting unreliable), that's it. God save the monopoly.

With the same $$ you can get a much better IBM-compatible PC (btw, it's not PC, it's IBM-compatible PC, and Mac is a PC too) if you want computing power.

20. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Exactly. That plus it's the same weight as the older model.

21. MrFlynn macrumors member

The one thing we haven't seen is what graphics card is being used in the 15 and 17 inch MBP's. Im really curious to see if they move to a Radeon 5xxx or 6xxx. Im not sure that this would bolster me to move, but combine it with Light Peak and Ill start thinking about it.

Coincidently, I bought my machine 9 days ago so I would trade it!