Preparing a Windows 7 netbook for sale?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by SteelBlueTJ, Jul 21, 2012.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

Sorry if this in the wrong sub forum, but I couldn't really see where it would fit. I think Mac Rumors needs a new sub forum for other non-apple technology, but anyway, I am going to be selling an HP netbook for my mom. It is about a year old and running windows 7. I gave her my old powerbook G4, which even though it's 7 years old, still blows the 1 year old netbook out of the water. So I am trying to figure out how to securely prepare it for sale. She didn't even have anything important on the machine. Only used it for internet browsing (mostly Facebook) and some light email. Since it's a netbook, there's no restore media that came with the computer and no optical drive. I did figure out a way to boot into the recovery partition and do a factory restore of windows 7. From there I shut off the machine as it was starting up after reinstallation. Is that all that I should do? Do you think that's good enough? When the new owner turns it on the first time they should get the start up screens to create a new log in user, correct?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Personally, I would have waited for the setup screen to come up before powering it off. Otherwise, who knows what state it will be in when it boots up the next time.